Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jrs, would make sense to send a couple guys at 60k. Most lawn around here a different. My one guy did 2 around that size today and a few at 20-30 alone. But he only had 7 so no big deal.

Fbt,
It's man hours. 1 hr to do a
Lawn making $100 w 2 guys is $50/man hour. Basis being man hours. If it takes 1 guy 1.5 hours you make $66 per
Man hour if one goes. Trick in this is to have enough work tosend the other guy out to make $66/man hour too. Just making up numbers.

Interesting 1 man bs 2 man dilemma. Seems like a mix is useful in different scenarios.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fbt,

To create a different point of view. Say you were out mowing yourself(no clue and really isn't a big deal either way). By mowing yourself you bring in $66/ hr. By hiring a new guy for $10/hr you make $90/hr. This I feel is some peoples mentality in analysis. So w another guy and acouple more accounts you an make $90/hr yourself. Where it fails is when you step out of the work and Into analysis. For an investment of another set up and more clients, you can make your $66 and theycan go make $66 so revenue of $132 and then take out their $10 andyou make $122/hr. All made up numbers. Today's work for me was revenue of $700 and 18 man hours so using $10 I had $190 (2 overtime hours) making me close to $30 per man per hour including driving time for the day. Don't care if it's good or not but the point if they were together is to question whether they would achieve the same lawns in the same time with double winshiekd time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLewisLawnCare View Post
Jrs, would make sense to send a couple guys at 60k. Most lawn around here a different. My one guy did 2 around that size today and a few at 20-30 alone. But he only had 7 so no big deal.

Fbt,
It's man hours. 1 hr to do a
Lawn making $100 w 2 guys is $50/man hour. Basis being man hours. If it takes 1 guy 1.5 hours you make $66 per
Man hour if one goes. Trick in this is to have enough work tosend the other guy out to make $66/man hour too. Just making up numbers.

Interesting 1 man bs 2 man dilemma. Seems like a mix is useful in different scenarios.
Posted via Mobile Device
If it takes 2 guys 1 hour, then it's gonna take 1 guy 2 hours. And then the 2 guys go next door and do 2 of the neighbors houses in 2 hours and make another $200. So 2 guys bring in $300 for 3 hours and the guy by himself only brings in $150 for the same 3 hours. Times that by 8 or 10 hours a day and you'll see the 2 guys bring in a lot more money. I mean you guys have to do more than 1 house per stop, right?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A masters in business all those math credits and accepted for a PHD in economics. What are you doing in lawn care with all that education? Truthfully I think you over think every detail and are headed to an early grave if you keep at it. This doesn't have to be this complicated and as for income per man or per crew one man does make more but I would never condemn a man to that fate. I can bring in $500 or a little more a day solo but I am physically shot by the end of that day. Instead I did $824 today with my one crew-mate and that includes my lawn which would be $65 a cut if I could charge for it. My other 2 man crew today was over $900 but they do have it easy, half a town is easier then 3 towns. I think if you were leading a crew you would decide a different number for crew size then if you base this on dollars per hour only. And as far as drive time goes that works two ways. Like today I have to drive across a river there are only 4 places to cross 2 of them are off limits to my truck and trailer one is just way out of range so there's one crossing. So when I cross to go mow the 20 plus lawns I have on that side the one thing I am always weighing is to make sure I finish because having to drive back costs me hours of wasted time. In other words if I ran a one man crew I cannot finish that list and my reward is 4 45min extended drives instead of 2.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fbt,

Hello . Never said it so I thought I'd start with that. We do have neighborhoods where we get to do multiple houses on the same street. Not lucky enough to have it as tight as some would want or expect. Maybe that's where my analysis differs. I think where we may be lost is that when you show up to a job one guy mows and the other weed walks and then someone blows or they both do. There comes a time when the mower beats the weed wackier or the opposite. And if you have to load and unload every stop or most, then there is idle time waiting for the other guy to finish.

Let's call large mower variable a , walk behind b, push c ,weed wacker d and blower e. it is very rare for me that any of these 5 variables summed for guy1 and guy 2 would equal each other. I also don't usually see and decrease in overall man hours by having them on site together.

In the previous statement you say one guy makes $150. If you send another guy out doing the same thing he makes $150 too if they do the same type of thing. You need more equipment to do that. What do you think?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBT View Post
Why are you running around all day with the push mower when you have help? You're not saving any time doing it that way. Let him cut everything with the 42 rider and you string trim, then blow.
As I said for where the 42" won't fit. That is not wasting time. Setting there waiting for the 42" to shrink or the space to expand on it's own is a waste of time.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kelly. Truth is I love to work with my hands. Should have gone to engineering school. I have done masonry since I was 12 and mowing since 10 at my grandfathers. I like Working on building the business so I can enjoy myself later. The mowing is one part of the business. I don't mow. Not that I don't want to, but if I did I could probably do 20 lawns a day myself. I just know the key to success is not to work but to delegate and let my guys do what they are doing. One chimney and I'm good for $1500-$3k a day, but even that I have my employees do. It's just that by analyzing, I am creating controls. This is not something I'm doing for myself. It is for my nieces, nephews, and hypothetically sons and daughters( when I have kids). I am trying to establish ways to eliminate bad customers. Ways to create success and put guys in the best positions. I totally understand the moral thing. I ask them what do you want. They say they like not worrying about someone else on site. These guys have iPhones. They text each other questions about their specific lawns. They know more about them than I do. That's because they want to know. I'm sure they are at the bar now talking about some cooky customers. When the mower is spitting out 107+ decibels, I'm sure they don't care to talk to each other. But I can see during drive time, it might be nice. But have to be at 20 sites might be more tedious than 10?!? Idk, analyzing is what I do for fun.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLewisLawnCare View Post
Fbt,

To create a different point of view. Say you were out mowing yourself(no clue and really isn't a big deal either way). By mowing yourself you bring in $66/ hr. By hiring a new guy for $10/hr you make $90/hr. This I feel is some peoples mentality in analysis. So w another guy and acouple more accounts you an make $90/hr yourself. Where it fails is when you step out of the work and Into analysis. For an investment of another set up and more clients, you can make your $66 and theycan go make $66 so revenue of $132 and then take out their $10 andyou make $122/hr. All made up numbers. Today's work for me was revenue of $700 and 18 man hours so using $10 I had $190 (2 overtime hours) making me close to $30 per man per hour including driving time for the day. Don't care if it's good or not but the point if they were together is to question whether they would achieve the same lawns in the same time with double winshiekd time.
Posted via Mobile Device
But if someone hires another guy or 2, where does the investment of another set up and more clients come into play? You have to already have the extra work. By me a crew of 3 can do 5-6 houses an hour at $25 each house. A guy by himself can do 2 or 3 if he's lucky at the same $25. The customers are not gonna pay him more because he's working by himself. And I've never seen a solo guy do more than 1 or 2 houses per stop, so they spend a lot of time driving around.And the solo guy is still paying the same on his consumer affair license, his town permits, DEC license, etc. etc.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
As I said for where the 42" won't fit. That is not wasting time. Setting there waiting for the 42" to shrink or the space to expand on it's own is a waste of time.
Get rid of the 42, it's too big. Who the hell told you to buy it? Get a 32 Scag.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

3 separate crews of 1 can do 2-3 per hour each @$25 and one single crew of 3 can do 5-6@$25 roughly. You are home doing nothing watching the Yankees beat the mets... When your office manager puts it into the computer. You see either we did 6-9 @$25 or 5-6 @$25. So either $150-$225/ hour or $125-$150 for 3 guy's working. The extra investments in this scenarios allows for you to have 2 sets of backup and also make $25-$75 more an hour or $200-$600 more a day. All based on made up numbers. Obviously we are speculating and trying to create a better hypothesis for my study. Actually we are just helping me think of all the variables that I may be missing.