Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #71  
Old 06-15-2012, 08:19 PM
BradLewisLawnCare BradLewisLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 279
some have to worry about working 360 degrees from central home base. say you do a 35 mile circle from home base. you go out 10 miles and work in a clockwise or counter clockwise circle and then 10 miles back in. or something like that. if your round trip is 35 miles in one truck, you have to think in this case the round trip for 2 trucks should come closer to 35 than 70 if managed right. in 15 mpg you spend 2-3 gallons on that route. which is $7-$12 around here. If you are driving 35 miles you have to assume at least 30mpg or worse between jobs and getting there. so your second guy sits for 70 minutes doing nothing all day. That is almost equivalent to your total gas expenditure for the day.

remember, i have not established this to be true. that is why i am asking everyones opinions. I am taking my logic and applying it. it is being tested to the max right now. we are compiling data and going to test it.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLewisLawnCare View Post
I'm not trying to sell $5k trucks to you, Just trying to get across a point that they could run the 26 weeks necessary in the example. buying a newer more expensive one would be pretty much leaping into a full fledge crew. That sounds better to me, but that is the biggest problem. We are not analyzing assuming we could put another crew out there. most are analyzing assuming they don't want to invest into another crew, i think...
26 week =5K for a truck then I can buy that.
52 week =10K truck
104 Weeks =20K truck
......
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-15-2012, 08:21 PM
BradLewisLawnCare BradLewisLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 279
ok beer run.. whats the most efficient way to get 1 mile to the store? get in my truck and drive there.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 06-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLewisLawnCare View Post
some have to worry about working 360 degrees from central home base. say you do a 35 mile circle from home base. you go out 10 miles and work in a clockwise or counter clockwise circle and then 10 miles back in. or something like that. if your round trip is 35 miles in one truck, you have to think in this case the round trip for 2 trucks should come closer to 35 than 70 if managed right. in 15 mpg you spend 2-3 gallons on that route. which is $7-$12 around here. If you are driving 35 miles you have to assume at least 30mpg or worse between jobs and getting there. so your second guy sits for 70 minutes doing nothing all day. That is almost equivalent to your total gas expenditure for the day.

remember, i have not established this to be true. that is why i am asking everyones opinions. I am taking my logic and applying it. it is being tested to the max right now. we are compiling data and going to test it.
Windshield time is a killer.

If I have 4 guys sitting for 70 mins it is even worse.

Still not buying that it is better to make 4 trips to do what 4 guys can do in a day.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLewisLawnCare View Post
ok beer run.. whats the most efficient way to get 1 mile to the store? get in my truck and drive there.
Poor management, should have stopped when out already.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 PM
BradLewisLawnCare BradLewisLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 279
First time leaving my house sorry. No way around that one
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 06-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLewisLawnCare View Post
First time leaving my house sorry. No way around that one
Posted via Mobile Device
That is one way to maximize profit. Keep expenses low
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 PM
BradLewisLawnCare BradLewisLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 279
a little R & D at my house. had my masonry crew pouring sidewalks to get ready for my 4th of july party. just the hot tub slab and the radius patio and I'm done. Guys were out mowing. No one said I had to be with them .
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 06-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLewisLawnCare View Post
a little R & D at my house. had my masonry crew pouring sidewalks to get ready for my 4th of july party. just the hot tub slab and the radius patio and I'm done. Guys were out mowing. No one said I had to be with them .


Send them over here. I have beer ready
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 06-15-2012, 10:37 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,426
I got to try out the one man crew today. Not that I wanted to but one of our guys was out sick. So the kid that usually works with me went with my father and I worked solo. The two crews usually start at opposite ends of the service area and work towards each other where the larger properties are, where we all work together. I completed my part of the route only 1.25 hours behind where I normally end with another guy. So hypothetically if the fourth man was working we could have gained 2.5 hours working solo. I didn't factor in the large properties because no time would be gained or lost. Assuming the second crew did the same they would also gain 2.5 hours. Netting a gain of 5 man hours on that day. The other side is the operating cost of sending four guys with their own truck, trailer and mower 1 hour away from the shop to the serice area. So after adding some rough numbers on cost to purchase, register, insure, maintain and the two added trucks I came out with a gain of...... -$35.00. I will conceed that one man crews are more effecient for small/medium properties but in my case 1 man crews just are not a smart business move, but hey you were right about one man crews being effecient.....
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 AM.

Page generated in 0.07605 seconds with 7 queries