Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2012, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
son no longer wants to do lawns.
I struggle with the anger that comes from thinking that is probably the SAME kid who went ALL around targeting specific customers, rather than passing out flyers door to door and hitting up every door regardless these kids don't want to do the hard work so they take the easy way out by targeting only accounts of folks who currently have service, the same ones who gave me a really hard time all of a sudden acting like everything was my fault and fired me over the dumbest thing when I knew full well what was going on, they didn't have the decency to tell me the truth.

I have to work with that and tell myself to cut them some slack that it's just a kid.

Those same customers won't call me again, because likely their conscience bothers them, seems to me they knew what they were doing didn't seem right ...
Doesn't seem right to take the easy way out, rings a bell that rewards don't come this way..?

Sometimes I struggle with the anger that they may have thought it would be cheaper.
Other times I struggle with the anger that they may have thought I was ripping them off.
Fact is I was doing it the cheapest way I knew how!

I have to work with that and tell myself to cut them some slack that it's just a kid.

I have to guess in ways I'm better off, but it's not always that easy to see.
It's taking time...

Last edited by herler; 06-24-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I struggle with the anger that comes from thinking that is probably the SAME kid who went ALL around targeting specific customers, rather than passing out flyers door to door and hitting up every door regardless these kids don't want to do the hard work so they take the easy way out by targeting only accounts of folks who currently have service, the same ones who gave me a really hard time all of a sudden acting like everything was my fault and fired me over the dumbest thing when I knew full well what was going on, they didn't have the decency to tell me the truth.

Those same customers won't call me again, because likely their conscience bothers them, seems to me they knew what they were doing didn't seem right ...
Doesn't seem right to take the easy way out, rings a bell that rewards don't come this way..?

Sometimes I struggle with the anger that they may have thought it would be cheaper.
Other times I struggle with the anger that they may have thought I was ripping them off.
Fact is I was doing it the cheapest way I knew how!

I have to guess in ways I'm better off, but it's not always that easy to see.
It's taking time...
You give todays kids too much credit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I stopped showing up because the rain stopped showing up.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
I stopped showing up because the rain stopped showing up.
Yep. Had 6 yards to do to finish my route yesterday. Ended up only doing 2 of 6. I think we're about done for a while here in Cincy.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Yep. Had 6 yards to do to finish my route yesterday. Ended up only doing 2 of 6. I think we're about done for a while here in Cincy.
It's the same up here, even the grass that needed to be cut was brown at the base. The weather has been crazy this year, it's either 90 with dew points in the 60's or its raining. either way its not good for mowing turf.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ill mail you guys a piece Debby.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
What do you do if the customer expects you to show up once a week, so you do but the grass REALLY doesn't need it. Maybe a few scattered weeds here and there, more or less just buzzing the heads off the clover. If they want it done I shrug my shoulders and do it, but it really is to the point where it shouldn't be cut. However that means I am basically fighting myself, NO I don't want money!

Just looked at the 10 day, ONE chance of rain in the next 10 and multiple 90+ days.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrdc View Post
What do you do if the customer expects you to show up once a week, so you do but the grass REALLY doesn't need it. Maybe a few scattered weeds here and there, more or less just buzzing the heads off the clover. If they want it done I shrug my shoulders and do it, but it really is to the point where it shouldn't be cut. However that means I am basically fighting myself, NO I don't want money!

Just looked at the 10 day, ONE chance of rain in the next 10 and multiple 90+ days.
I try and call or email them before I go out so I don't waste any time. I had to call a few of them on the fly yesterday as I was too lazy to bother with it the night before. It just so happened that the 2 I actually did cut were the furthest ones away so I didn't waste any gas or time anyways.

If they insist on you cutting it then do it. You're gonna fry it, though. And I'd let them know that you really shouldn't be cutting it. Most people actually do understand this concept, though.

If you're hard up for cash I'll pay you 10 an hour....CASH Money...to do this big paver patio and covered roof job I have this week. I expect you to complete it in 30 hours. Deal?
Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Never understood the whole it got hot out so the landscaper stopped showing up. This is when the money is made this is when the lawn times drop off and you finally see some real profits. I can see my mowing hours drop from 160 a week too 120 with few skips. 40 fewer hours to pay is huge so bring on the heat and give me a rain storm every 5-7 days and I am a very happy landscaper.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Never understood the whole it got hot out so the landscaper stopped showing up. This is when the money is made this is when the lawn times drop off and you finally see some real profits. I can see my mowing hours drop from 160 a week too 120 with few skips. 40 fewer hours to pay is huge so bring on the heat and give me a rain storm every 5-7 days and I am a very happy landscaper.
So, you're one of those companies that cuts regardless if it needs it or not? Or you have a lot of customers that water their lawns?

I've been doing this for a decade. I've had 1 customer in all that time who actually watered their lawns...including commercial.