Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2012, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Iv been doing this for 23 years and I have over a 100 that water. I just snapped this 10 mins ago this is my front yards today It looks like this most of the year and I NEVER water. So it may just be location but 1 storm a week keeps my lawn looking like this all summer long. As for weather I mow if it needs it or not I am not going to even dignify that with a response.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont want to cut the lawn when they don't need it, of course its counter productive, some insist for the sole purpose of choppin up those little white clovers. I think this upcoming week I am just going to raise my deck up a ton and just give some of them a quick drive by.

Smith, ill take that paver job if you go tackle those jungles
Old 06-24-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best hair cut is one that you can not tell you had a hair cut.

Considering I think most lawns are mowed too high in the spring. Take it down a 1/4" and slowly get the lawn to the top of the recommended height recomendations.

If the turf is really dormant, it will be a long summer.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The way I see it is that if I can see where I'm cutting then it needed it. I bust my tail all spring long cutting tall grass and choking my mower...I deserve a few easy cuts!! But I'm not going to cut it if I think it's going to cause the whole lawn to burn out.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Off Craigs List:

Everything you need to start up a lawn service. Murray 40" 12.5 hp lawn tractor with a new Briggs I/C 12,5 hp motor, extra Briggs 12.5 motor,Toro personal pace 22" pushmower, Echo gt2000 string trimmer with extra string heads and string, John Deere backpack blower, Poulan Wildthing chainsaw. Everything runs good and works good, son no longer wants to do lawns. $850 for it all or will split it up. 860-334-XXXX

Someone better jump on this deal
Lmao! I picked up a duplex to cut. The renter told me a kid was cutting the yard and haven't been cut by him in 2 months, so they were cutting it until they saw the forecast in the 90's....ok. another client I picked up had kids in the neighborhood cutting hers also, 70% of kids nowdays rather be in the ac on Facebook and instagram practicing looking pretty, but that's my opinion and I'm happy with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by joel29m; 06-24-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm currently in Charlotte, NC cutting mainly fescue lawns and the heat has definitely got a lot of lawn guys not showing up. Mostly all my clients do not have irrigation plus even the ones with irrigation are starting to brown up pretty bad.

Sometimes its not the lawn guy at all its the fact the home owner doesn't want to pay.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
The way I see it is that if I can see where I'm cutting then it needed it. I bust my tail all spring long cutting tall grass and choking my mower...I deserve a few easy cuts!! But I'm not going to cut it if I think it's going to cause the whole lawn to burn out.
Yep on all counts.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Banned

I doubt I'll even start my mower til the end of July....and that's best case. Things look pretty bleak here.

Time to play some golf.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Iv been doing this for 23 years and I have over a 100 that water. I just snapped this 10 mins ago this is my front yards today It looks like this most of the year and I NEVER water. So it may just be location but 1 storm a week keeps my lawn looking like this all summer long. As for weather I mow if it needs it or not I am not going to even dignify that with a response.
Maybe we all ought to move to Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
I doubt I'll even start my mower til the end of July....and that's best case. Things look pretty bleak here.

Time to play some golf.
Yeah that's a lot more what we're looking like, too.

Last edited by herler; 06-25-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I am having trouble believing that you can cut whatever whenever in 90-100 degree weather without much rain and not irrigate without the yard turning crispy critters, you might be from up north and maybe you've been lucky thus far but what you speak of is contrary to my own experience.
Mine too. I think he's a dustcutter. We have several of those types here too. They're everywhere.