Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel29m View Post
70% of kids nowdays rather be in the ac on Facebook and instagram practicing looking pretty, but that's my opinion and I'm happy with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
You have that right about the "cupcake generation" of today!!! They expect everything to be handed to them with little or no work effort. I tried getting my younger cousin to work while he's off of school for the summer. His response, "thats work, I don't want to do that." He would rather have his rear end planted infront of the TV with smart phone in hand doing nothing.

2013 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4 door with onboard air and K3LA train horns

10 Appalachian 6x16 open trailer
07 Husqvarna 4815 WB
Wright Stander 36
00 JD JX75
09 Exmark Metro 26
01 Husqvarna 125 blower
08 Husqvarna 324L trimmer
08 Husqvarna 123HD60 hedge trimmer
09 Stihl HL 100 135
09 Stihl BR600

"If you're dumb, you suffer."
Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Mine too. I think he's a dustcutter. We have several of those types here too. They're everywhere.
This might come as a shock to you but not all of us mow 30+/- properties a week, some of us have companies/crews to run which include paying bills/employees. I'd love to tell my guys, "hey, we're going to take a 1 1/2 month break. Mow for another 2 months and then take 4 months off .
Some of our accounts are by contract for the season, we get paid whether we mow or not. For the weekly accounts they say "to be mowed weekly." There is no stipulation "if it is too hot/cold/snowing" they don't care. So whether you call us "dustcutters" or whatever simple fact is by skipping a week or two puts us in breach of contract. They usually let it slide a week but I don't want to test their boundaries. So continue with the golf game, you might shave a few strokes off your game but I don't think it will help your bank statment.......
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc240nt View Post
Ive been pretty lucky so far.
I picked up a yearly this past week. Lady is on my snow route, called and told me her neighbor kid had been mowing for her but he quite showing up. I have it now and another yearly contract in the books. Not to mention a nice monthly income bump.

Another lady I mow for may not turn out as well. Ive mowed 4 times now and she's into me for $50.00. I wont sweat that amount to much, and she gives some money each time I show up. but my red flags are waving. Her old provider quit on her "because he got to busy, he has 150 accounts". So, I'll see what happens. Im mowing there again on Monday, hopefully she pays up this time. If not, I'll have to give her the hard word.
Quit because he is too busy,,ok I don't buy it, quit because slow to no pay.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
This might come as a shock to you but not all of us mow 30+/- properties a week, some of us have companies/crews to run which include paying bills/employees. I'd love to tell my guys, "hey, we're going to take a 1 1/2 month break. Mow for another 2 months and then take 4 months off .
Some of our accounts are by contract for the season, we get paid whether we mow or not. For the weekly accounts they say "to be mowed weekly." There is no stipulation "if it is too hot/cold/snowing" they don't care. So whether you call us "dustcutters" or whatever simple fact is by skipping a week or two puts us in breach of contract. They usually let it slide a week but I don't want to test their boundaries. So continue with the golf game, you might shave a few strokes off your game but I don't think it will help your bank statment.......
You're ripping people off. Good for you.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You're ripping people off. Good for you.
how is that ripping people off? He said he has a weekly contract, so he is obligated. Some people may get upset if he doesn't show up to get the tall weedy spots knocked down
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can see annual contracts but now with weekly mowings.

There are other services you can provide besides mowing dormant grass.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
how is that ripping people off? He said he has a weekly contract, so he is obligated. Some people may get upset if he doesn't show up to get the tall weedy spots knocked down
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess if he does all the other stuff besides mowing he isn't....maybe.

I see guys all thru now and August mowing when it obviously doesn't need it, though. If they don't have 12 month contracts or whatnot they're ripping people off. I don't know why people pay for dust mows, but it's always irked me to see it done.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I can see annual contracts but now with weekly mowings.

There are other services you can provide besides mowing dormant grass.
All of the weekly mowing contracts are for mowing only, all other services are contracted to other companies. If someone has a problem maybe they should word their service agreement differently.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
All of the weekly mowing contracts are for mowing only, all other services are contracted to other companies. If someone has a problem maybe they should word their service agreement differently.
I would word mine differently. Even down here in Texas we do not have 52 weeks of mowing.

To be competitive we do not bid 52 weeks of mowing unless they over seed.

Just putting in my 2 cents and I think I can give more value to the client and get the same revenue.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I picked up a good one...they barely speak any English. It's awesome.

I'd prefer all my customers to be deaf, mute, and blind. That's my Xanadu.
I won't work for people who are hard to communicate with.

if you don't speak English and speak it well forget giving me a call.