Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I won't work for people who are hard to communicate with.

if you don't speak English and speak it well forget giving me a call.
Since I only speak english then I have to be able to speak to them. They do not have to speak it well for me.

I do admit there are some types of folks that I do not work with much and that is the Mid-eastern Indians. They like to haggle too much for my taste. Part of their culture it seems. I have had some that do ok on small things and paid but over all I have found this to be the case. I give everyone a fair price and I do not haggle. I will discuss scope of services but my price for labor and materials is fair for all.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I would word mine differently. Even down here in Texas we do not have 52 weeks of mowing.

To be competitive we do not bid 52 weeks of mowing unless they over seed.

Just putting in my 2 cents and I think I can give more value to the client and get the same revenue.
We usually bid 24 weeks for our season which is what we figure our budget by. This year we started a month ahead of schedule. One contract is worded weekly from may 1 to October 31. I know they worded the bid packet this way because how else do you word it? Giving some contractors the option to mow "when necessary" means when they feel like it. I agree with what you guys are saying, we have people we mow for who are "as needed." I wish all of our agreements were for a season, it makes our lives easier because we know what we have for a budget and the customer gets the lawn care they want at a set rate. So as long as the contract says weekly this is how we approach it. If it makes you feel better after the Halloween storm last fall we were still obligated to complete 2 weeks of cleanups..... in the snow.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Since I only speak english then I have to be able to speak to them. They do not have to speak it well for me.

I do admit there are some types of folks that I do not work with at all and that is the Mid-eastern Indians. They like to haggle to much for my taste. I give everyone a fair price and I do not haggle. I will discuss scope of services but my price for labor and materials is fair for all.
I'm not interested in doing work for someone I can't understand because they could try and skip out on payment by saying the work they wanted done wasn't done or done like they specified.

if I can't understand what your saying on the phone or in person for the initial estimate then forget it.

I don't mess with hagglers either.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I'm not interested in doing work for someone I can't understand because they could try and skip out on payment by saying the work they wanted done wasn't done or done like they specified.

if I can't understand what your saying on the phone or in person for the initial estimate then forget it.

It's true you have to have a meeting of the minds. I have no problem with broken english however as long as we seem to be on the same page.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
... if I can't understand what your saying on the phone or in person for the initial estimate then forget it.

I'm with you. Really tho, my experience has been the poorer the English, the more likely they are to do their own lawns.

I'm surprised at the regular folks who hire me. The very rich, and commercial properties will always need lawn service. The regular Joe has to feel that $100 a month for two cuts and still leaving the yard looking lousy the other couple of weeks. I guess the reason is that their cheap guy stopped showing up.

I just got rid of two customers I've had for a long time but couldn't make the right kind of money on. Guess I'm the guy who stopped showing up.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn gods must of heard my request, I picked up 2 good ones this week, both are starting at bi weekly because its NOT RAINING! Ill take it though, and I got a lead on a giant property, so I can't complain
Old 06-26-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
You give todays kids too much credit.
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL well you might have a point there hahaha I did cool off in that regard some realizing that with the educational system and the job situation what it is I am now finding it extremely difficult to place the blame, so it is what it is, f it.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=SSmith;4441756]It's that time of year again! The time of the year when the noobs start dropping like flies (pansies). I've had 5 calls/emails this week....everyone of them stated that "our guy stopped showing up."

This is my first year as a sole operator and I have have picked up several accounts with this being the first thing the customers have said. "I don't know what happened, our lawn guy just quit showing up." For at least a decade around these parts (south eastern Texas) the "recently arrived" Spanish speaking lawn guys have owned several neighborhoods with their $20 cutting services. The customers that have called or emailed me are astonished that I speak English, live and work locally, and that I call to confirm a scheduled appointment.

I haven't had any issues with the customers not paying, haven't had many that wanted to haggle (they were used to $20 but agree to $30-$40), & continue to have the folks compliment the work that I do. Unfortunately, I am using "consumer" equipment as some of you guys put it, but once the cash builds up I plan to buy better equipment. The average temperature around these parts has hovered around 100 for the last few weeks, but the grass & shrubs are hanging in there as far as I can tell. From what i have gathered, the South of the Border types are either moving back home or have given up on their low balling prices.

I have yet to see a single kid (15 - 20 yrs old) out mowing a yard during my travels. It's summer break, I know they aren't in school, but I have yet to see any pushing a mower or running a weed eater. It's not always the dead beat customers that say their guys quit showing up. Sometimes it's the fact that the service guys get deported, realize our ******ed social services will pay for them to stay home, or they've made enough and go back home. Either way, I'll gladly take more customers that can't seem to find their lawn guys, lol.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^ they will be back, believe me and some customers will go with them.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I've only seen two kids out mowing. A team with someone's Husq lawn tractor/weedeater. Both 12. I gave them a small bi-weekly job in their neighborhood. I'll hire them if needed. The only unemployed "grownups" around here are drunken fishermen.

Not sure why we have so many latinos here in coastal Carolina but they now own all the sheetrock biz and boat painting and prep biz. Latin lawn crews can't be far behind. Is this a great country or what?