Register free!

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Two problems I have that I need help with

The first I have came across several times.

On the irrigation box when I try to set up the zone start times it will only go 1-4. The run times will go through all 8 zones. Has anybody seen this before? I've had this problem with Hunter and Rainbird boxes.

Problem #2. A residential client's Hunter irrigation box says OFF on the screen and will do nothing. I've been running the valves manually and it's really annoying because I have to keep coming back to cut off one zone and start another. The guy lives out of town so he can't do it himself.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Model of the controllers?

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 06-18-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
The first I have came across several times.

On the irrigation box when I try to set up the zone start times it will only go 1-4. The run times will go through all 8 zones. Has anybody seen this before? I've had this problem with Hunter and Rainbird boxes.
Start times have nothing to do with zones.

Quote:
Problem #2. A residential client's Hunter irrigation box says OFF on the screen and will do nothing. I've been running the valves manually and it's really annoying because I have to keep coming back to cut off one zone and start another. The guy lives out of town so he can't do it himself.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Turn it on? Rain delay?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Start times have nothing to do with zones.

Turn it on? Rain delay?
So what do numbers 1-4 represent?

I've pushed every button on the thing, does nothing.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Model of the controllers?
I have no idea.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

there are too many controllers to give good info.

Most controllers have multiple programs A, B C and some times D.

You set up the run time for each station inside those programs.
You can set up to 4 start times for each of those programs. You also set up days of the week.

IE, I want to run a station 15 minutes but if I run 15 minutes I get run off so what I do is set the station to run 5 minutes, all 8 stations @ 5 mins = 40 mins. Can then set up the controller to start @ 3 AM 4:30 AM and 6:00 AM.

This keeps me from having overlap on the run times plus enough wiggle room to use the seasonal adjust.

The second controller likely shows off because it has because it was not programmed correctly.

There is a new residential Rainbird that programs a little differently I suppose to make it easier for HO.

Most of the time you only use one program for small res units but the say you have a flower bed that needs more frequent irrigation...
Instead of using the same program that is used for turf you can use a different program with different days of the week.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So what do numbers 1-4 represent?
Start times for individual programs .... assuming you have what represents 99% of your resi/comm controllers on the market.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Most of the time you only use one program for small res units but the say you have a flower bed that needs more frequent irrigation...
I will have to disagree. Unless you have a site with only 1 hydrozone or 1 valve, then you should be using more than one program. Even on tiny postage stamp sites, 3, and many times 4 programs are simply not enough.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Read the manual. It's obvious that you have no idea how to program / operate these controllers.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
there are too many controllers to give good info.

Most controllers have multiple programs A, B C and some times D.

You set up the run time for each station inside those programs.
You can set up to 4 start times for each of those programs. You also set up days of the week.

IE, I want to run a station 15 minutes but if I run 15 minutes I get run off so what I do is set the station to run 5 minutes, all 8 stations @ 5 mins = 40 mins. Can then set up the controller to start @ 3 AM 4:30 AM and 6:00 AM.

This keeps me from having overlap on the run times plus enough wiggle room to use the seasonal adjust.

The second controller likely shows off because it has because it was not programmed correctly.

There is a new residential Rainbird that programs a little differently I suppose to make it easier for HO.

Instead of using the same program that is used for turf you can use a different program with different days of the week.
Gotcha. Thanks a lot.

As for the box that says off I was told maybe it was struck by lightning? Idk. Guess I will call in an a company that installs systems to take a look.
Closed Thread