Register free!

Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Being from the north i wished i had sandy soils it suxs digging around here..lol.. However even pouring concrete pad in the bottom wouldn't it eventually settle as well? I no up here with freeze thaw it does over time. If your area is that sandy i would lay a geotextile in the bottom then crushed gravel compacted of course and the construct the basin from there still faster than a poured pad. However im from up north so i i have no experience in ur area tad.. ive lived there but never dugholes lol.. ur thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
Being from the north i wished i had sandy soils it suxs digging around here..lol.. However even pouring concrete pad in the bottom wouldn't it eventually settle as well? I no up here with freeze thaw it does over time. If your area is that sandy i would lay a geotextile in the bottom then crushed gravel compacted of course and the construct the basin from there still faster than a poured pad. However im from up north so i i have no experience in ur area tad.. ive lived there but never dugholes lol.. ur thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Without a doubt, there is a good chance that it will still settle, but by distributing the weight load over the entire concrete pad and not just the concrete blocks will substantially slow it down. Of course, the higher the weight load, the greater the potential for settling. In my area, the only way that I can see off getting proper weight distribution in the construction of a heavy weight feature without a concrete pad would be to use your idea of the ABS panel but on top of matrix blocks. I am not even sure that that would work.
Every region of the country has its own geologic peculiarities and construction methods must be adapted accordingly.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

O i agree however i discovered how to make the abs panels even stronger than wat they are. So using the matrix w them would problay work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
O i agree however i discovered how to make the abs panels even stronger than wat they are. So using the matrix w them would problay work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Care to share?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Pm me and ill tell you. I cant give out all my secrets lols
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Finally did the water fountain the other day. Client was very pleased. Had to use a pick and straight bar to dig out the for the hole, used a hd carson jumbo valve box, piped in an autofill with pex from the house, and became a dealer for the planter and water fountain manufacturer to get the fountain for the wholesale price. We did the stone work around the water feature as well. I used chipped slate as aggregate. It took one day with 32 man hours to complete, so I was right on my numbers. Getting material to the water feature spot was a little difficult, but I figured that in on my man hours.

Probably needs some plant material to soften all the stone, but I cannot decide on what to use because I don't want hide my stone work!

OK bash away!
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Interesting... very bland..to much extra space around the fountain. U could of gotten away with 2 or 3 feet less on the edges and added plant material to soften. Im not a big fan of slate chips i wouldve used a mixed size of mexican pebbles but each is there own lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2012, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that you are not interested in any personal observation from me, so I will refrain from offering any.
Other members of this Forum, however, may be benefit in knowing what provisions you incorporated for ease of access to the pump when maintenance is required.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Interesting... very bland..to much extra space around the fountain. U could of gotten away with 2 or 3 feet less on the edges and added plant material to soften. Im not a big fan of slate chips i wouldve used a mixed size of mexican pebbles but each is there own lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I just googled mexican pebbles. I do like those better, it was either river rock or chipped slate.

I think it needs plant material, just not sure what yet. I think the wall needed to follow the edge of deck or it would have looked unfinished
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
I know that you are not interested in any personal observation from me, so I will refrain from offering any.
Other members of this Forum, however, may be benefit in knowing what provisions you incorporated for ease of access to the pump when maintenance is required.
Same access as a vault or a fountain basin
Posted via Mobile Device