Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Lighting View Post
Because halogen does not operate on DC power.

Im not loosing my mind haha. What kind of bulb is in your cars headlight!!!!!"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been doing demos for the past 2 nights and have one more tonight. I borrowed the vista lighting kit from jdl and it is a pain in the rear. I really don't have enough of those quick connect wires.

I have 6 led lights and I am going to try that tonight as well as a few from the jdl kit.

I think this 9v led may be the way to go with demo. More time to sell the customer and less time setting up and taking down. And possibly get home at 9 instead of 10.

Last night I was thinking about taking a picture of the house I was demo lighting and adding it to my portfolio even if they didn't do it! Good way to build a portfolio fast!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

do yourself a favor, get some led lights and a few 9v batteries. I have a small demo kit (im not going to do a full lighting system as a demo) consisting of 5 or 6 kichler LED accent lights. Go to radio shack and get some 9v battery connectors/leads. Use heat shrink butt connectors and connect them to the fixture wire. I leave them with one side of the battery connected in a small case like this http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...t?q=paded+case
break it out and you are set up in 2 minutes
Old 08-15-2012, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought 9 v batt pigtails at radio shack, and zip tied the battery to the stake and wire nutted leads to pigtail. Just unplug the pigtail when your done. I wish there was a compact 12 v battery, that would be perfect!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you mean a compact 9v battery?? They are approx. 1"x1", thats not compact enough?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

12 volt.. not 9 volt ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
What do you mean a compact 9v battery?? They are approx. 1"x1", thats not compact enough?
He said smaller 12 volt battery... not 9 volt. The 9 volt works, but 12 would be better.

As an option, you could get the alarm batteries which are 12 volt.. and rechargable and although not as small as a 9 volt, one battery could power up more than a few LED's.

Another option would be to get an AA battery holder and put 8 x AA batteries in it to make your own 12 volt packs.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

lol.....my bad...
but, i dont see why you would need any more than the 9volt...its very small, unless the 12 volt will give a much longer run time?
I wouldnt leave then in overnight anyway, just give the client a little taste....
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I bought 9 v batt pigtails at radio shack, and zip tied the battery to the stake and wire nutted leads to pigtail. Just unplug the pigtail when your done. I wish there was a compact 12 v battery, that would be perfect!
Posted via Mobile Device
12 volt drill batteries, 12 volt ATV batteries, AA and button sized batteries.

The watch batteries could be stacked on top each other and wrapped nicely with electrical tape. AA's can be put in cases as said above. Drill batteries are a nice size but kind of odd shop. ATV batteries are bigger, but will last alot longer. Just got to be creative.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
lol.....my bad...
but, i dont see why you would need any more than the 9volt...its very small, unless the 12 volt will give a much longer run time?
I wouldnt leave then in overnight anyway, just give the client a little taste....
I "think" the leds are a little dim w 9 volts. I could be hallucinating though. I was comparing a volt led to a vista 20w bullet, but could have just been a difference in the manufacturers and halogen and led.

Not concerned w run time. Prob only have them on for an hour
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
12 volt drill batteries, 12 volt ATV batteries, AA and button sized batteries.

The watch batteries could be stacked on top each other and wrapped nicely with electrical tape. AA's can be put in cases as said above. Drill batteries are a nice size but kind of odd shop. ATV batteries are bigger, but will last alot longer. Just got to be creative.
Ok i gotcha. I think aa are only a few volts so it would take a few casings. 9 volt is prob best i can do for mobility
Posted via Mobile Device