Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2012, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Member

How to charge for weeding before laying mulch?

I am going to lay mulch for a customer, but the beds are full of weeds, and posion ivy, sumac etc. The beds all together add up to about 2,000 square ft. How much to charge for just the weeding alone?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hourly rate is what I do, the trick is not guessing too high or too low, either way is bad
Old 06-14-2012, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you charge an hour for labour? And a dump fee? ???
Old 06-14-2012, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I personally charge 60 an hour and then include the cost of supplies (IE garbage bags), I don't charge a dump fee unless I have a ton of bags (this week while doing an edging job I ended up with around 40 bags. They got a dump fee)
Old 06-16-2012, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm at 45 per person. dump fee only if its a significant amount. I'd avoid telling them an hourly rate as most people will croak at it. I've always read and learned by under/over bidding that when you're bidding something you're unsure of to double the price/amount of time you think it will take initially. I'm lucky enough to not have to bid the majority of my work as its for existing customers and they just tell me to do it. I don't sell myself short and can be as thorough as necessary without worrying about a time frame. When I do have to give prices I usually try to give them a broad ballpark price as in $100-200 for example. Most customers are more than fine with this and really just want a rough price range so they know what to expect. As long as the work shows for itself the price isn't a Huge deal as you get what you pay for
Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmill26 View Post
I'm at 45 per person. dump fee only if its a significant amount. I'd avoid telling them an hourly rate as most people will croak at it. I've always read and learned by under/over bidding that when you're bidding something you're unsure of to double the price/amount of time you think it will take initially. I'm lucky enough to not have to bid the majority of my work as its for existing customers and they just tell me to do it. I don't sell myself short and can be as thorough as necessary without worrying about a time frame. When I do have to give prices I usually try to give them a broad ballpark price as in $100-200 for example. Most customers are more than fine with this and really just want a rough price range so they know what to expect. As long as the work shows for itself the price isn't a Huge deal as you get what you pay for
I never do a range.... Always an exact price. Hourly rate (40) times estimated number of hours. Only do a dump fee if it's more than a few yards of material.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2014, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I charge 45 an hour. Yard waste is collected at the curb here so if it's just a little bit, I will leave the bags behind.