Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

google plus one

http://www.bbb.org/fort-worth/busine...-tx-151106478/

Do you guys think getting people to like or plus 1 this page will help?

If so then please
Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, 33 views and only one person clicked on the plus one? Thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
And the results are even worse if you don't throw the option into the arena and announce it.

I've got a highly popular redwood page that gets so many page views per month, it pays for my redwood fuel and lodging to northern California about every 6 weeks. But when it came to putting a Facebook or +1 button on it, it barely registered even after a few weeks. A lot of this gimmick stuff is good for Google and a limited few it seems.

You basically proved the inefficiency of it it seems.

Can't really hurt anything though if it's not wasting space. Somebody's going to click someday.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

But this is not my page. It is about me.

Click it

Your post is well taken but it seems social is all the rage.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Do you guys think getting people to like or plus 1 this page will help?
If it's doing anything, I would say it's helping the BBB out. The +1/Shares I see as helping the direct content provider the most, and not down the food chain, although I don't see it as any overall, direct SEO assist. It may tangentially help your social graph, but that's just an educated guess. I still see the +1s being a way to share relevant content with your relevant circle, increasing the...he's going to say it again...relevant profile of the content. Do I ever see "any old +1 click" ever being of directly attributable SEO value? Probably not. Like anything else automatable, it's rife for abuse, which easily allows Google to adjust the dial of their choice and alter the value. I recently saw a figure that said there are an estimated 5 billion +1s/day. That's a lot of apparently relevant content, which I'm sure Google verifies and elevates when the see fit. Again, I see it coming in to play more as a syncing of...relevancy.

Quote:
As for wondering why people aren't clicking to +1 your particular instance, you're playing with two sets of odds. The 52 other people who have now viewed this post, statistically speaking, are not all Google+ users. 17 of them are. Of those, you then have to account for those who are not, shall we say, "fans" of the BBB. Put me in this camp. I'm a Google+ user, had every intention of giving you a +1 as a courtesy, but then I saw that not only was it not directly impacting you, as an article written by you or on your site would, but it was more a supporting click for the BBB. So really, it probably helps your internal BBB social graph/credibility with their visitors (so to speak) more than it likely would your outside-the-BBB-ecosystem. But who knows, maybe Google is using these circuitous paths more than we know or think. Or, some day, they'll crank the dial up a notch, making it more useful next year than today.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
But this is not my page. It is about me.

Click it

Your post is well taken but it seems social is all the rage.
I think "social is the rage" in the sense that it's effective when the stars align.

Right photo, content or material, showing up in the right circle of influence at the right time. Sometimes the stuff fizzles, and other times it does okay.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know goggle is trying to break into the social aspect but are not doing too good of a job.

On the plus one. It is kind of like the share button on the goggle plus pages but you do not have to share.
I am thinking it also acts sort of like a improved ranking among various social circles.

I am not a huge fan of BBB but they are in effect a type of directory with a citation. As noted on the page I am not an accreditation business. Meaning I did not pay for the ranking which they are now so famous. It seems google is not a huge fan either placing in second page well below some other citations. However, I will take it
Old 01-11-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I know goggle is trying to break into the social aspect but are not doing too good of a job.
With the amount of words, music, instruction, comedy and comments at Youtube, it seems like they have nice little fragment of the social scene.

It's not Facebook interaction, but there's a lot of expression occurring there.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What the did capture is people reposting youtube links on facebook. However that is not serious marking of a business. It seems that you have to AFV to rank on youtube.