Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Our largest lco still charges after each service, weather its a fert app or a weekly mowing customer. Some of thier services require payment ahead of service. Most places now days you have to have a credit check. If your score is below a certain number you need to pre pay or have a credit card on file. I dumped a few of those slow payers this spring. I may dump a few more next spring.

Now you go to your dealer and buy a bunch of parts, you need the money. You get your truck repaired. Same when you buy almost anything else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i wouldn't wait 60 days to get paid for any job. that's crazy. you are doing something wrong if it takes that long to get paid.

on my monthly paying customers i send the bill out on the 15th and they pay me after the 1st of the next month. that's about 2 weeks later that i get paid which ends up being right after the end of the month when i do the last cut of the month. i cut the yard 2 times then send the bill and then cut it 2 more times and then the check comes in the mail. basically i'm getting paid at the end of each month after i do the work.

most of my customers pay the same day i cut the yard which is the best way to do it to me. some i send a text and they mail a check which comes about a week later.

i have a rule that i never cut a yard again until i've been paid for the previous cut. (except for the monthly paying customers)

that way i don't get burned. i've never had any problem with the monthly people paying on time.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i wouldn't wait 60 days to get paid for any job. that's crazy. you are doing something wrong if it takes that long to get paid.

on my monthly paying customers i send the bill out on the 15th and they pay me after the 1st of the next month. that's about 2 weeks later that i get paid which ends up being right after the end of the month when i do the last cut of the month. i cut the yard 2 times then send the bill and then cut it 2 more times and then the check comes in the mail. basically i'm getting paid at the end of each month after i do the work.

most of my customers pay the same day i cut the yard which is the best way to do it to me. some i send a text and they mail a check which comes about a week later.

i have a rule that i never cut a yard again until i've been paid for the previous cut. (except for the monthly paying customers)

that way i don't get burned. i've never had any problem with the monthly people paying on time.
His question was about monthly payers. He says if he mows for a month then bills and they take 30 days to pay he is 60 days out.

Not sure how your post helps

I do bill some of my commercial clients on the 15th of the month. Meaning they do not get a full 30 day float. My residentials are net 15.

Most are good about paying in the first week after being billed
Old 06-16-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob the builder View Post
We are experiencing that our monthly invoices are not generating the cash flow that we need to operate our business. My customers receive their invoices by the 3rd or 4th of the month and our terms are 15 days but they seem not to care. If they wait 30 days to pay their invoice then that means the first mowing of that invoice was 60 days ago. We use service autopilot and we can set it up to make each customer pay weekly with their credit card but I dont know how they will react with me changing the way we bill. We can auto charge their card as soon as we are done mowing their and have the money in a couple of days verses 60 days. My question to you guys is how to tell my customers that they must switch to our new billing process without loosing them.
Well I cannot offer any advice...but what do you think about service autopilot?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I had that problem when I first started out. Turns out I wasn't charging enough, my margins weren't good enough to cover the lag. I also had a few customers that took their time to pay.
Get rid of those customers. Keep the ones that pay you the same day they get the bill. I don't tolerate slow or late payers anymore.
Raise the pricing for those slow customers and see what they do.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuley View Post
Enforce a late fee policy. If they pay late they get a late charge...
Posted via Mobile Device
I second this... added a late fee this year and have had to do it a few times already. People seem to pay more on time now though!

2014 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 4x4 Dump
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500
2013 7x16 Big Tex
2010 6x10 Big Tex
Buyers 2YD Poly Spreader
52" Scag Cheetah
48" Exmark Turf Tracer
48" Exmark Viking
18HP Little Wonder Vac
Toro Snowblowers
Stihl Handhelds

www.prestonlawnscapes.com

My work - http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351577&page=13
Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

From someone that waits for 2 months to pay my phone or cable I know if you tried weekly id dump you faster then you can say opps. I do have a suggestion but it complicates things allot on the other hand its far less complicated then what you just suggested with weekly billing. What if you placed half your customers on the 1st each month and the other half on the 15th. As I said that will complicate this but it should help eliminate the dips in cash flow. Last month I had 16k or so in the bank one day and had less then 2k only a few hours later after paying bills. Then the money slowed and we squeaked through the month on fumes then a week in to the next month the first rush of checks comes in and were flush again. It's the cash flow of our business but I have often thought of how to make it more even and I think this would work only I don't have the office time to try it.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
From someone that waits for 2 months to pay my phone or cable I know if you tried weekly id dump you faster then you can say opps. I do have a suggestion but it complicates things allot on the other hand its far less complicated then what you just suggested with weekly billing. What if you placed half your customers on the 1st each month and the other half on the 15th. As I said that will complicate this but it should help eliminate the dips in cash flow. Last month I had 16k or so in the bank one day and had less then 2k only a few hours later after paying bills. Then the money slowed and we squeaked through the month on fumes then a week in to the next month the first rush of checks comes in and were flush again. It's the cash flow of our business but I have often thought of how to make it more even and I think this would work only I don't have the office time to try it.
I'm set up the same way I invoice A thru m on the 15th n thru z the last day of the month works out really good keeps cash coming in almost weekly
Old 06-17-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Monthly billing

My company used to bill monthly but we have not billed this way in 4years.we bill after every cut and it was one of the best decisions we made.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I must be weird. I've had no less than $20,000 in the business account at all times for at least the last 3 years.

it's not good business practice or personal for that matter to let things run dry working pay check to pay check.