Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Can't get Echo SRM-225 trimmer head off--what am I missing?

Hi All,

I've got an Echo SRM-225 that I'm considering "upgrading" by replacing the U-turn head with a "Echo Maxi Cut" head (like this).

Problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the head off. There's only one nut I can find, and it comes off easily enough. It's right under "cover" (the part that you bump to advance the string), and it's reverse threaded. There's a little slot you can put a screwdriver in on the side of the head to lock the head in place while you unscrew the nut.

So that comes off no problem... but the head still feels like it's welded on! Is there something else I need to unscrew? Or does it need to be in a particular position to get it off?

Here's a picture of how far I've gotten.

-Josh
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You have to take the whole trimmer head off as an assembly. Look between the trimmer head and the gearbox cap.There will be a locking hole or slot for a screwdriver so you can lock the gearbox and unscrew the trimmer head.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Bingo!

Thanks Greg. That did it.

In case there's anybody else out there like me that benefits from exact, step-by-step instructions, here's what you have to do:

1) Leave the cap on the trimmer. The nut exposed when you take the cap off the trimmer head stays exactly like it is. In other words, the nut I initially tried removing (and is shown removed in my picture in this thread) has nothing to do with removing the trimmer head.
2) Put a screwdriver through the u-shaped notch in the shroud, through the hole in the trimmer head (rotate the head until it aligns with the u-shaped notch), locking things in place. Then grab the head and turn it. You will feel it start to come loose.

I don't distinctly remember, but I think the head was reverse-threaded.

Thanks!

-Josh