Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2002, 03:35 PM

Big Mistake

Well I made a big mistake today. I drove one of the new 6.0L Gen 3 PS powered Ford trucks. Man oh man. The power is great, the 5spd. auto trans shifts like a dream, and the truck is very quiet from the cab. Once again Ford has made another winner.

While going around a corner from one street to another, I flattened the throttle and the back end slides around. We are talking about a dually 4 door F350. Once again Ford has raised the mark that the other wannabies in the diesel market have to look up too.

And now I want one worse than ever. Alas my trade is not paid down enough to make a switch.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe with all that new power, youll actually be able to keep up enough to see the duramaxes tailgate as he blows by you at the start
Old 12-31-2002, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Duramax and Cummins engines are hardly "wannabees". I find it funny how these Ford guys cracked on the D-Max when it came out for being too quiet, now Ford has a quiet running diesel truck...suddenly that is ok. LOL I do know one guy that has driven a new PSD and he said it was impressive, and i don't doubt that a bit. I liked the old 7.3 a lot and wouldn't have minded too much having one with the 6 spd. This comes from a die-hard Chevy guy. But, i still would take a Dmax 2500 hd first, with the Ford being a pretty close second. Let's just see if this new 5 speed auto can hold up to all of that power. The old 4 speed auto had some troubles. Next year, I hear the Duramax is getting a power upgrade with new injectors, as well as a new Garrett turbo charger. It may equal or surpass the PSD in horsepower and torque. Every year it seems like someone raises the bar and we get more powerful trucks. This makes me wonder how much power the drivelines in these trucks can handle over a period of time.

Tim
Old 12-31-2002, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont forget about the heated tail gate option on Chevy's now available. Keeps your hands warm when you have to PUSH it!
Just joking we own Chevy's too and feel we could joke about it for thr problems we had.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:45 AM

MDB only in your dreams does the Dooramoss do that. I got hard copy proof of the fact that Duranot follows the Ford and Cummins is way behind that in the towing tests with all three 03 models.

As for power upgrades Ford knows the other guys will be raising their numbers to pass them and will be offering a more powerful 04 model. Look at the numbers in the 7.3 PS from 98.5 thru 02. Every year they went up some. And you never found me making fun of the the Duramax for being quiet. I have always said they do not sound like a diesel. As for noise or lack there of, I straight piped my truck so there was MORE noise.

landscaper3

I LOVE heated tail gates, makes those long pushes MUCH nicer.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Myself I'am not a big fan of smaller engines producing more power than a larger engine like the 7.3 PSD it kinda throws the " No Replacement For Displacement " out the window.

I don't think Chevy made a good move creating the Duramax if they wanted to have a Isuzu engine they should have modified on of the I-6 models used in the forward series COE trucks.

I don't think this power war is gonna stop between the brands why in the heck do you need all that power for your not gonna beable to pull anymore weight as the truck is already getting over taxed with the ratings they have now.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:26 AM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
You know something the diesel wars have wore thin with me .The diference in torq and horsepower between the three in stock form is so slim it dont really matter which one you get for doing our business of landscapeing.And all three for the forseeable future going to one up each by just enough torq to say one has more then the other.And that dont make a one dame hill of beans difference.
now our little two bit arguments here are just that two bit .
We can have these pissing matches to doomday but i think its time to go to the pissery and piss it out of our systems.
At least one thing the three are keeping american auto workers working so that is a very good thing.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted by Brickman-"MDB only in your dreams does the Dooramoss do that. I got hard copy proof of the fact that Duranot follows the Ford and Cummins is way behind that in the towing tests with all three 03 models."

Brickman, maybe you should read this....the D-Max is hardly "way behind"...man you tend to exaggerate a bit. Yes, the ford won the test, was the Chevy way behind??.... no. Check this link out.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stor...out/page1.html
Old 01-01-2003, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just like to get brickman going lol I know we have these matches a lot, but i think its kinda fun no?
Old 01-01-2003, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pottstim
Posted by Brickman-"MDB only in your dreams does the Dooramoss do that. I got hard copy proof of the fact that Duranot follows the Ford and Cummins is way behind that in the towing tests with all three 03 models."

Brickman, maybe you should read this....the D-Max is hardly "way behind"...man you tend to exaggerate a bit. Yes, the ford won the test, was the Chevy way behind??.... no. Check this link out.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stor...out/page1.html

I said Cummins was the one way behind. The article I was refering to said that Chevy kept up fair thru about 65 MPH when it really started to fall behind.

MDB yes it does become fun. And I think Odin has a point too. A lot of times we act like school kids argueing over whose dad is going to kick the other ones dad butt.