Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Ferris ZTR starts then dies

I have a Ferris IS3000 ZTR mower that isn't running correctly right now, starts and then dies, it just recently started having issues with it. Lets start with a little back ground on the machine. Purchased it recently, included an aluminum bagging unit. Thing ran great and has 900 hours on it. Used it a couple of times and then decided to do some maintenance as the oil looked like it could be changed. Went and change out the hydraulic fluid and filter, change oil and filter, pulled off the bagging unit at the same time. Everything seemed to be working pretty well for the 5 minutes I tested it. Then I used it on a friends yard and it had no power when going up hills, I even had to stop and let the engine catch up while on a hill and I've been up and down it before with the bagging unit and the mower didn't even show any bit of power loss. The mower was running like crap at that point and couldn't go full speed with or without the blades engaged. So I take it home and pull one plug off and try to run it and it won't start, do the same with the other plug and it runs so I figure its the coil on that side. I replace both and its running top notch, I take a few laps around the yard with the blades off and its just ripping back and forth. So I start on the boarder pass and make it almost all the way around and the mower just dies. At this point it will turn over and start up for 1 second then die. I pulled the right hand gas tank and emptied it and cleaned it out, its drying right now. I didn't think that would be the issue as I've run a full tank through each fender and used the machine for hours before this but figured why not try it and make sure no sediment was in the tank. I have the starter switch off the machine and the pins on the back are slightly lose but nothing I'd get caught up over. Also I pulled the carb off real quick and pulled what I believe is the bowl off and it had fluid in it but no particles of anything, the diaphragm wasn't torn or broken but looked a bit worn.

So quick recap:

-Machine was running great, even had power to go up hill with bagging unit attached
-After changing oil/hydraulic fluid/filter the machine ran rough, only seemed to be running on one cylinder.
-Changed coils on both cylinder as one didn't have any spark
-Machine ran great for a couple of passes around the yard and then just stopped running
-Machine will only start for 1 second then dies.
-Pulled carb off and didn't see any issues.

Any questions please feel free to ask. I'm pretty stumped and before I go out buying parts I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Did you change the fuel filter? I see that it was not mentioned. I had a similar experience with my Ferris walk behind and that was all it was.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlgrooms View Post
Did you change the fuel filter? I see that it was not mentioned. I had a similar experience with my Ferris walk behind and that was all it was.
I did change that, sorry I didn't write it down. It wasn't that dirty to begin with but I changed it anyways just to be on the safe side. When I try to start it you can see it pulling gas into the filter. Also I don't know if I mentioned but it didn't matter if I has the gas selection switch to the left or right tank it had the same starting issue.

One thing I'd like to add; is the fuel filter suppose to be completely full or half full or what not? I ask because I have a ferris hydro walk behind and the fuel filter on that is completely fuel except for a little area where as the ZTR is about half way maybe less.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Did you change both plugs too? Sounds like a classic NGK plug problem. Most times I see it when the mower gets hot the plug starts shorting out.

Rob
Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidermist View Post
Did you change both plugs too? Sounds like a classic NGK plug problem. Most times I see it when the mower gets hot the plug starts shorting out.

Rob
Yes I did. Figured while I did the coils I should do them as well. I just downloaded an electrical schematic to try and check the ignition switch and I also read online that I could take my air compressor and spray air up the fuel hose into the tank to try and push any clogs back up into the tank; is that a good idea or could it hurt anything?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What are the engine model and spec numbers.....

If it was running ok before you serviced it....go back and recheck your steps...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2012, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Half on the fuel filter is ok, When it dies is the fuel filter dry and you can see fuel filling the filter back up?

This problem will do the same thing on both tanks?

When it dies are you losing spark?

Rob
Old 06-15-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, well this is hard to say but.....it was a fuse

I thought I checked the one that was blown but looks like I didn't. My mistake and a lot more work for something simple I should have checked in the first place lol.

Thanks for the quick responses and helpful posts.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I like them kind of fixes!!!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

There are a couple of guys on here that always say, "Check the easy things first", usually and thankfully RIGHT!!!
Glad you got it done.