Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-17-2012, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

EPA strikes again.

My newest chain saw wasn't idling right, so I fired it up intending to adjust the L and H screws. But I couldn't make the screw adjustments because to do so requires a special tool to turn them. (With older saws, a common screwdriver can be used!) So I went to a Husqvarna dealer to buy that tool only to be told he can't sell it to me. Both he and I would be breaking the law if he did, so I would have to pay him to do the adjustment. (I didn't.) If what I was told is correct, this is a mandate of the EPA. Good grief, has out country gotten so authoritative that we can't even repair or tune up our own tools without being warned we would be breaking a law if we try. Well, if I can get the tool, I think I'll risk getting caught committing the horrible crime of tweaking a screw on my own chain saw. But since I can't buy it in a local store, I looked on the Internet. I think I found it with the number 530035560. Can anyone tell me if that's the right one for the L and H screws of a Husqvarna chainsaw purchased this year?
Old 06-17-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's what ya need to do : http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

......AMF!
Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Well, my saw happens to be a Husqvarna 435, but I got the impression when talking to my Husky dealer that what I stated in my first post is also the case for other, possibly all, recent models of that manufacturer's chainsaws. He couldn't speak for other brands, but what he did imply was that this is an EPA and not a Husqvarna decision; that is, making it illegal for owners of equipment to do carb adjustments on their own equipment. Sounds ridiculous to me. In my opinion, the EPA should be defunded and abolished. Do any other of you feel that way?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You were told the truth. We have done been warned that if we sell the tools to the public we will be fined up to $10,000. The EPA has taken away the right for you to adjust the carbs on your own equipment. Soon we will not be able to adjust them either as more and more carbs are going to a factory fixed non-adjustable carbs. I have already been hearing stories about people buying chain saws and trimmers in the low lands like along the coast and them moving higher up like the mid-lands or mountains and having to buy new carbs because the old low land carbs would not run right in the mountains. The EPA has the carbs so fine tuned that a few thousand feet in altitude messes with the running.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we need ECM and fuel injection on these hand helds
Old 06-17-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
we need ECM and fuel injection on these hand helds
That has been talked about but as of now it would triple the cost and double the size of a saw or trimmer. Do not worry it will come in time.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer67 View Post
That has been talked about but as of now it would triple the cost and double the size of a saw or trimmer. Do not worry it will come in time.
I forgot to use the sarcasim button
Old 06-17-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I forgot to use the sarcasim button
At the Stihl update school it was talked about. It is in the works for real. Now sure when it will hit the market but it is being worked on.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer67 View Post
At the Stihl update school it was talked about. It is in the works for real. Now sure when it will hit the market but it is being worked on.
Oh. I understand. As far as I know most units now are 4 stroke but they still take pre-mix and they are heavy.

People in Europe think we are backwards because they have small diesel engines with very high MGP. However, the truth is those engines will not pass our emission laws.

If we could use fuel cells and get the full day use out of them than I would be happy . I am all for clearn air and such but on the other side it is much a do about nothing
Old 06-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Sponsor

I wonder if I will stil be alive when the EPA is finally exposed for what it has become in order for it to be defunded and finally canceled as a government agency?
easy-lift guy