Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-18-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cleaning out those carbs is dirt simple and worth the effort. If nothing else you will learn something. Don't listen to the dopes that just want you to throw it away and buy new. Crapsman or weedeater, sure junk it. Echo's are very serviceable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Cool thanks for the help (almost) everyone. Will report back after I get the rebuild kit installed hopefully by next weekend at the latest.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

You can do it. Be patient and you will get it clean and running like a new one!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out 3 part video by "smallengineshop" on You Tube. Very good instruction on rebuilding a Zama rotary barrel carb.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodale View Post
Why are you spending so much time and effort on this machine. If it won't start after 2 pulls either take it in to get it fixed at your dealer or buy a new one. The dealers charge so much it might not be worth it even if it is fixable. Keep your equipment in better shape. You said you replaced the fuel with fresh fuel this spring. Why didn't you drain the fuel and then run it until the carb was dry and it stopped running? Then it would start in the spring and not have a gummed up carb. When I winterize my handhelds I put a new primer bulb in every one. The equipment needs to run well to make you money. When you are working, making money like you should, you will make enough money to buy one in a day. Keep your equipment in good shape, use it carefully, and when it stops running through it away and get a new one that will be reliable.
Have a spare that the can swap out and then you fix the old one when you have the time.
Sincerely,
Biodale
Chill out, dude. Not everyone on here has a $100K+/year business. For some it's better, cheaper, and more efficient to fix stuff ourselves.
It's cool to put your 2 cents in, but don't be an A-hole.
18x8 flat bed w/custom removable gates and racks
2006 Great Dane Surfer 19/52
2002 eXmark Viking 36 hydro
2008 Hustler FasTrak Mini 17/36
eXmark Metro 26
2011 Honda HRC216HXA
Shindaiwa T242
Echo SRM-230
RedMax BCZ2450T
Shindaiwa Multi-tool
Shindaiwa EB802RT
Echo PB-755ST
Echo PB-210LE
Stihl HS45 Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-400
Ryan LA28 Aerator FOR SALE

AMSoil Dealer
Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Check out 3 part video by "smallengineshop" on You Tube. Very good instruction on rebuilding a Zama rotary barrel carb.
Oh sweet, I'll check it out.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Before you rebuild the carb, check the price on a new carb. Depending on the price difference, you might elect to just replace it. Keep in mind that rebuilding a carb doesn't always work. Pay attention to the assembly order of the diaphragms and gaskets. Review post by weldguy, "redmax trimmer runs better upside down". There were very good instructions on how to adjust the carb.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

echo 210

One of the most overlooked diagnosis of 2 cycle engines is damage on the lower end of the cylinder. The engine can have "like new" compression (determined by the top end of the cylinder) but not receive fuel because the lower part of the engine is essentially the fuel pump on these small 2 cycle engines.

Reinspect the cylinder through the exhaust port while shining a light thru the spark plug hole or better yet, remove the cylinder. Pay particular attention to the edges of the ports on the cylinder.

You could check my earlier posts (echoman8) which I have covered this in detail. There should be no gray spots (especially near the transfer ports on the cylinder) nor even minor scratches near the ports.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Member

man if only my grandfather were still with us, he could have this thing up and running in a jiffy.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Started working on the Echo's carb today. After I got into it I discovered that this RB-5 carb kit contains none of the correct components for my RB-5 carb. The only parts that would fit were the metering diaphragm and gasket. Everything else I had to reuse the original parts to put it back together. And of course it still doesn't start, but at this point I'm not sure if it would start even with the correct components of the rebuild kit.

^^^ Original parts/gasket shown on the right below the carb, and the new gaskets are on the left - as you can see none of them match the shape of the original.