Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawn View Post
Chill out, dude. Not everyone on here has a $100K+/year business. For some it's better, cheaper, and more efficient to fix stuff ourselves.
It's cool to put your 2 cents in, but don't be an A-hole.
No kiddin...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Never use any strong solvents like carb cleaner or high psi air to clean a 2 stroke engine's rotary barrel diaphragm carburetor. The strong chemicals can and WILL swell the small internal check valves in the carb and render it useless. High PSI air can blow them out as well. Use a fine lubricant such as WD-40 to clean the gum and varnish and repeat as necessary. The solvent, pressurized air method is suitable for bowl type carbs, but not Zama and Walbro rotary barrel diaphragm carbs.

Last edited by WorkinOnIt; 06-24-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinOnIt View Post
Never use any strong solvents like carb cleaner or high psi air to clean a 2 stroke engine's rotary barrel diaphragm carburetor. The strong chemicals can and WILL swell the small internal check valves in the carb and render it useless. High PSI air can blow them out as well. Use a fine lubricant such as WD-40 to clean the gum and varnish and repeat as necessary. The solvent, pressurized air method is suitable for bowl type carbs, but not Zama and Walbro rotary barrel diaphragm carbs.
When you properly tear down that style carb you are left with a cube of metal. Complete teardown and flushing with solvents and air is the only correct way to rebuild these carbs.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Check Valves

The check valves remain in the cube and are highly susceptible to the effects of strong solvents (which swell them) and high psi compressed air (blows them right out of the carb). Most folks who get a real badly gummed up one just replace them. I have never seen one I was willing to throw away...until the check valves failed and it no longer drew fuel properly.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I don't want to mess with those check valves.

I heard back from the eBay seller and he sent me a link to another one of his rebuild kits asking if the gaskets look correct. They look pretty close, but the kit says it's for an RB-81 or RB-K57B carb, yet mine says RB-5 on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130720489676...676%26_rdc%3D1

compared to my original parts (right hand side of pic):
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Also what sort of solvent could I use to clean this thing? And I'm talking, letting it soak overnight. I have a can of liquid Sea Foam. Could that work or would it be too strong?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Soaking in Seafoam is fine. The ports and passages still need to be flushed with aerosol carb cleaner. Not brake cleaner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Zama Rotary Carb Model Number

I see the carb says RB-5 on it. RB means rotary barrel or rebuild kit...according to its usage. Therein lies some confusion. The Zama site only lists RB-5 as a rebuild kit...not a carb model. I know it is confusing. Echo doesnt make the SRM-210 model anymore but still make an upgraded version of the same engine with technologically advanced porting. CHECK on the carb for other numbers and then refer to this application chart so you can get the proper gasket and diaphragm kit (G & D kit) or the proper rebuild kit (RB kit). The RB kit includes everything that is in the G & D Kit.

http://www.zamacarb.com/pdfs/QuickKit_CR2010.pdf
Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Patrick, my eyeballs ain't what they used to be, but looking at you picture on page 2 of this thread, the number at the top of the carb appears to be K78. If that is the case, the proper rebuild kit is RB-123.

If that is not the case, go to www.zamacarb.com and look up the proper kit.

I didn't go back and read the complete thread, so this if this info has been posted, I apologize.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Zama SRM 210 Rotary Carb

After checking for you I feel that this rebuild kit WILL fit your Zama rotary barrel carburetor. Take a look! It is an RB-107. I have bought one for MY SRM-210 before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RB-107-Echo-...#ht_1372wt_954

This is Ebay Item number (if link does not work) 190687762074