Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Look at the BIG faded blue stamped letters above the RB-5 like K-??B...looks like to me. My 210 has a Rotary Barrel K70 carb and uses G & D kit GND-52 and rebuild kit RB-107. Hope this helps you. Do a search on Ebay for the Zama RB 107 for lowest price and pics too!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Echo

Did you look for gray areas in the lower end of the cylinder. It will not pump fuel if the lower part of the cylinder has gray spoet (chrome worn off).
Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Patrick, my eyeballs ain't what they used to be, but looking at you picture on page 2 of this thread, the number at the top of the carb appears to be K78. If that is the case, the proper rebuild kit is RB-123.

If that is not the case, go to www.zamacarb.com and look up the proper kit.

I didn't go back and read the complete thread, so this if this info has been posted, I apologize.
By gosh you're right. After careful inspection under a work light I did see the K75 printing, so it's a RB-K75 and it does indeed take the RB-123 kit. The kit I bought the other day did not have a picture of the parts on the eBay page for it.

I mean the RB-5 cast into the metal is so clear as day on the carb, it's easy to see why anyone could miss the very faint K75 printed on the metal.

Here's the correct kit from the same seller, and the parts do look exactly like mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zama-RB-123-...item5ad50a30f7

Thing is, that same kit sells for $10 shipped from other sellers. Hopefully we can work out some kind of swap with the seller.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Trimmer

Chillin' out here. I didnt mean to be so short or dogmatic. I do understand your problem of not being able to afford a new trimmer.

I'll just tell you my experience. I bought a trimmer used. (Couldn't afford a new one, I thought). When I had problems with it, I wanted to save my original investment so I tried to fix it. Tried several different things buying parts along the way. After getting almost the cost of a new one into it, I had to buy a new one anyway.

I did get the old one running. They are all fixable if you are willing to spend the time and money to repair them.

Last week one of my echo blowers froze up. I took it to the dealer to look at. He said $40 examination fee. I smiled and said, "Give me a new Stihl." It starts everytime, is quieter and I like the 4 cycle hybrids. Yes, I time the valves every year.

I'll look at the old echo in the winter when I have time. I'll strip off usable parts, but I won't repair it.

When a piece of equipment breaks, a crew of two is costing me $25 an hour while the repair is being made. So it makes economic sense to me to reduce the likelihood of equipment breaking down.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes I can see how with a business it makes better sense to just buy a new one. But for the average homeowner trying to get by in these economic times, DIY repair is usually the better option, money-wise.

Plus I have my DIY mechanic record to uphold I've been driving my car 11 years and have put 225K miles on it myself, and have never paid anyone to do anything ever on that car besides body work, tire mounting, and alignments. That's it. I'm not about to let some stupid little yard trimmer beat me!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Contacted the eBay seller about it, and he's sending me the correct kit while I mail the previous one back. Big thumbs up to eBay user "randysenginerepair"
Old 06-29-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
Contacted the eBay seller about it, and he's sending me the correct kit while I mail the previous one back. Big thumbs up to eBay user "randysenginerepair"
Hope the kit works for you and starting problems are solved. I just acquired another Echo 210 from my brother-in-law (did some trading--I think he won). The trimmer started for me when I tried it at his house. Installed a new grommet, fuel lines, fuel filter, and cleaned 6 or 8 years of oil/dirt crude off it--now it will only start when I put gas in the sparkplug hole. I consider myself a fair mechanic on trimmers. My 1st thought was gas lines reversed--compared them to my other 210. Put a carb gasket & diaphram kit in--still same problem. Tomorrow, I'm going to switch carbs between the trimmers--it's very dry here so not much mowing going on--have some extra time.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Member

EchoSRM 210

Besides the typical fuel (stiff metering diaphragm and fuel pump) and ignition (weak coil) problems....occasionally a well used machine like this can throw you a curveball. And guess what OTHER part can deteriorate. Try the flywheel as it has a cast in key for the crank and is cast aluminum and it wears. I had one worn completely away. The flywheel slipped on the crank (use threadlocker to hold it)...and....2 of the 3 magnets in it were very weak. This resulted in hit or miss poor ignition and a no-start condition. When you check out these machines, you have to check out everything from the crank seals to the integrity of the flywheel.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
Hope the kit works for you and starting problems are solved. I just acquired another Echo 210 from my brother-in-law (did some trading--I think he won). The trimmer started for me when I tried it at his house. Installed a new grommet, fuel lines, fuel filter, and cleaned 6 or 8 years of oil/dirt crude off it--now it will only start when I put gas in the sparkplug hole. I consider myself a fair mechanic on trimmers. My 1st thought was gas lines reversed--compared them to my other 210. Put a carb gasket & diaphram kit in--still same problem. Tomorrow, I'm going to switch carbs between the trimmers--it's very dry here so not much mowing going on--have some extra time.
Put a carb off of an old SRM230 rescued from the dump, runs great. This is the 2nd 210 carb I've had problems with. This one, I cleaned with WD40 rather than carb cleaner as recommended earlier in this thread. I've rebuilt a few dozen carbs--but these off of the 210's have me stumped!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Carb Cleaner

I know Zama recommends using "aerosol cleaner" to clean the interior of the carb, but after researching the Zama carbs at great length....many in the know have said to stay away from the strong solvents and High PSI compressed air. The rotary barrel carb has about 5 different check valves. They are typically made of rubber or mylar (like a drum head). They swell and then you are screwed. I have found the hidden main jets in them and opened them up to alleviate the really lean setting that inhibits start up and acceleration with power. Many PROS even hate the rotary units and after rebuilding them encounter the same problems (they are ALL set very lean at the factory per C.A R.B. III EPA regulations and you have to open um up. Pain to do but they work well if you can get the fuel flowing the way it needs to!