Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
Hope the kit works for you and starting problems are solved. I just acquired another Echo 210 from my brother-in-law (did some trading--I think he won). The trimmer started for me when I tried it at his house. Installed a new grommet, fuel lines, fuel filter, and cleaned 6 or 8 years of oil/dirt crude off it--now it will only start when I put gas in the sparkplug hole. I consider myself a fair mechanic on trimmers. My 1st thought was gas lines reversed--compared them to my other 210. Put a carb gasket & diaphram kit in--still same problem. Tomorrow, I'm going to switch carbs between the trimmers--it's very dry here so not much mowing going on--have some extra time.
Okay, I'm a dummy--put another carb on it this morning and it worked great--definitely a carb problem. Went on the Zama site, looked and read about their rotary carb--then thought about everyting I had done--okay here's where I'm a dummy. I had removed the plug so I could adjust the high speed jet--or so I thought. This plug was a small plastic cylinder with an o-ring--definitely different than the kind that need to be drilled out. As it turns out, this Zama RB rotary carb has a fixed jet in it, and the plug I removed was allowing it to suck air straight from outside rather than fuel. Put the plug back in, changed the carb out for about the 10th time, and it starts and runs.

Okay, another lesson learned. Good thing I was working on my own equipment since I now have about 20 hours into this "simple" maintenance job of replacing tank grommet and fuel lines and filter--and what I thought was going to be a tweak of the high speed jet.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Zama Rotary Carbs

There are different models of them of course. I have not worked on any of the real new ones. I feel The main jet I tweaked on an older one was under a black plastic cap and inside a brass sleeve under that. I pulled the cap out with a screw and threaded a tap into the sleeve freeing it, and there was the main mixture jet with a slotted head. You really have to be careful with the Zama's and NOT lose the little roller that is in it.Easy to lose it upon disassembly and easier still to forget to reinstall it as it isn't your run-of-the mill carb part. I am glad you got the thing running Glynn. Everyone hates messing with these rotary carbs and I bet you can't adjust the new ones at all (till someone devises a way).
Old 06-30-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinOnIt View Post
There are different models of them of course. I have not worked on any of the real new ones. I feel The main jet I tweaked on an older one was under a black plastic cap and inside a brass sleeve under that. I pulled the cap out with a screw and threaded a tap into the sleeve freeing it, and there was the main mixture jet with a slotted head. You really have to be careful with the Zama's and NOT lose the little roller that is in it.Easy to lose it upon disassembly and easier still to forget to reinstall it as it isn't your run-of-the mill carb part. I am glad you got the thing running Glynn. Everyone hates messing with these rotary carbs and I bet you can't adjust the new ones at all (till someone devises a way).
This is definitely not one of the newer 210's--that's what surprises me that it didn't have an adjustable jet--I just assumed--and we all know where that gets you.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Zama carb

Did you check the parts breakdown diagram for that model carb? What is the model number off of it?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Did you check the parts breakdown diagram for that model carb? What is the model number off of it?
K66B-28A Zama
Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Zama Rotary Carb

Yes, in the parts breakdown for your carb....the Main Mixture Screw (part no.34) is NOT listed. See the enclosed link...page 138.....your carb listed on the end of the column...far right.

http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/PDFs/Za...PARTS_LIST.pdf

This is an excellent parts diagram breakdown and better than the one on the Zama site as it is clearer...and all the models and their respective componets are listed, but unfortunately the RB-K66B does NOT have the main mixture screw.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yes, in the parts breakdown for your carb....the Main Mixture Screw (part no.34) is NOT listed. See the enclosed link...page 138.....your carb listed on the end of the column...far right.

http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/PDFs/Za...PARTS_LIST.pdf

This is an excellent parts diagram breakdown and better than the one on the Zama site as it is clearer...and all the models and their respective componets are listed, but unfortunately the RB-K66B does NOT have the main mixture screw.
The 1st diagram/breakdown (2nd page down) of the above link is the carb I've been working on. Part #21 was the "plug" I removed and left off so I could tweak the high speed (this didn't work of course). Without this plug, I could spray WD40 into the jet and it would spray into the body of the carb--without the plug it was sucking air. Maybe I can remember if I see this again--but then at my age memory is not one of my strong suits--let's see what were we talking about---

You're right--this is a good parts diagram.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Zama Rotary Carb K-66B

That diagram carb shows the Main Mixture screw BEHIND a retainer ball. The ball is part # 33 and the main mixture screw is part # 34. But, your carb is different. That diagram is for reference only. Do you see what I mean? Both of these parts go in the diagram carb in front of the plug according to the diagram. The jet plug and the O ring for it are listed as a kit at the beginning of the parts list for your carb with the rebuild kit, gasket and diaphragm kit etc. As the EPA regs progressed, we have been able to adjust carbs less and less. Let me know if you get the thing to operate correctly. I have to study the diagram further to see if there is anymore you can do. If the carb sucks air out of that plug hole on the K-66B...do you see anything else at all in there?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
That diagram carb shows the Main Mixture screw BEHIND a retainer ball. The ball is part # 33 and the main mixture screw is part # 34. But, your carb is different. That diagram is for reference only. Do you see what I mean? Both of these parts go in the diagram carb in front of the plug according to the diagram. The jet plug and the O ring for it are listed as a kit at the beginning of the parts list for your carb with the rebuild kit, gasket and diaphragm kit etc. As the EPA regs progressed, we have been able to adjust carbs less and less. Let me know if you get the thing to operate correctly. I have to study the diagram further to see if there is anymore you can do. If the carb sucks air out of that plug hole on the K-66B...do you see anything else at all in there?
The parts list does not include 33 and 34 for my K66B so I think the diagram shows either the fixed jet 18 and plug 21 or adjustable jet 33 and 34. I have not been able to remove jet 18--at this point I've probably ruined the possibility of getting it out--brass screwdriver slot is beginning to wear out from my attempts to get it out.

The trimmer runs great at high speed with this carb, but dies as soon as I let off the throttle. I don't know if this is a prior existing problem. I started it and ran it at wot for maybe 5 seconds before removing the gas and cleaning it up to go in the van for the 900 mile trip back to my house. I should have run it before changing the gas lines and grommet and removing the carb--one of these days maybe I'll learn not to tear down without getting as much running info as possible up front!!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PatrickGSR94, I'm sorry for jumping on your thread about my SRM210--still waiting to see if the carb kit fixs your problem.

Glynn