Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I just received my THIRD carb kit today. The second one (the first correct kit) showed up with a bent metering diaphragm from being hastily placed in a return envelope and folded up. So the third kit (second correct kit) came today, and now am just waiting to see when I can do something with it.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Soaking in Seafoam is fine. The ports and passages still need to be flushed with aerosol carb cleaner. Not brake cleaner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Is there a certain kind of carb cleaner I should be using?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Let the carb soak in Seafoam last night. It sat on the work bench today, then put it all back together with the new carb rebuild parts this evening. All to no avail, darn thing STILL will not start!

Now I have the entire thing torn apart with the piston hanging out. I have no clue what it could be. Magnets on the flywheel still seem to be good. I guess it's still timed correctly though I'm not sure. The magnets pass by the contacts on the coil when the piston is just a touch past TDC. I did clean the carbon off the top surface of the piston, but who knows if that will do anything.

It's really getting frustrating. All the sub-$100 trimmers at Home Depot are pretty poorly rated. Echo straight-shaft trimmers start at $219 which I won't be able to spend for awhile. I need straight-shaft as curved shaft causes back pain.

*sigh* can't believe this puny 2-cycle engine is defeating me.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Okay so I poured about 1/4 teaspoon of fuel inside the spark plug hole, put the plug in and cranked it, and it STARTED! Then died 3 seconds later.

So it's obvious it's still not getting fuel. I guess something in the carb is still gummed up perhaps? Am I doomed to just dropping the cash on a brand new carb?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
Okay so I poured about 1/4 teaspoon of fuel inside the spark plug hole, put the plug in and cranked it, and it STARTED! Then died 3 seconds later.

So it's obvious it's still not getting fuel. I guess something in the carb is still gummed up perhaps? Am I doomed to just dropping the cash on a brand new carb?
Wish I could help you, but that's where I am with 2 of these SRM210 carbs. I think I may get more agressive with the cleaning--carb cleaner and very low pressure air--got nothing to lose--currently not working anyway.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah same here. I'm about ready to just spend $45 shipped for a brand new one from an eBay vendor, but may as well try to clean it one more time, with like 20 psi compressed air.

I just hate that I wasted $17 on the rebuild kit for this old one.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo Trimmer Zama Rotary Barrel Carb

Patrick and Glynn The main jet in the center of the carb body (has the small O-ring around it) controls fuel flow. It can be made larger to flow fuel better by going at least one size up with one of the bits from a torch cleaning kit...It is very, very small.Patricks jet may actually have something tiny in it prohibiting fuel flow. In addition, check the height of the metering lever that sits on top of the needle valve and raise it ever so slightly upwards. This will increase fuel flow also. Hold down the needle valve with a small screwdriver (exerting NO pressure on it) and with another small screwdriver, bend the metering lever slightly up. Try this and repost whether fuel is making it into the engine.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/PDFs/Za...PARTS_LIST.pdf

You're referring to the parts near #21 right?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Zama Main Jet and Metering Lever

Yes, that is the part I am referring to...unfortunately in my mind...I confused YOUR Zama with a Walbro I worked on. Maybe you should at least TRY to make sure the jet is clear...and enlarging it very little wont hurt. Metering lever height is maybe even MORE important try bending the lever up and flushing the main jet out or even making it a tiny bit bigger. I know it is set lean and this will alleviate that.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

ama Rotary Carburetor

Patrick If the black plastic barrel in the throat of the carburetor has a "wet" look to it after attempting to start....then the jet is passing fuel, and the problem is elsewhere.