Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

What do you do to get more work mid season?

Hello
Its already almost July. I got super busy early this spring here in Arkansas and hired my first employee EVER! It is really great. Now that things have been cleaned up, planted and mulched I have had a hard time staying busy and need to get more work. Especially since the weather dried up. The current load I can handle by myself but with an employee we run through the weekly workload in about 25 hrs. Its about 50 properties. 80% typical residential. Does anybody have suggestions about getting new clients in the middle of the season?. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

flyers, talking to neighbors, website, ads in newspapers, talking to current customers about additional work that would benefit their property
Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

How time effective is sending out flyers in mid season? Im not disagreeing with anything you said. They are all good common sense ideas. Just curious about the best use of time/money for midseason business acquisition. Have flyers performed for you this late in the season or has client networking and print media brought better returns.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

have you upsold all your current customers? There could be some money still out there with them.
I'm starting my TV ad this week and radio ad starts Aug 1st for fall work. They work very well for me.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Lawn/Landscape View Post
have you upsold all your current customers? There could be some money still out there with them.
I'm starting my TV ad this week and radio ad starts Aug 1st for fall work. They work very well for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I have considered radio. Just not sure. No other lawn service uses radio so that could be licrative. I have up sold all current clients. I got some power washing and window washing. I'll look into radio. It seems to be a quick and effective option instead of handing flyers in 95 degree heat. What extra services do you guys offer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Lawn/Landscape View Post
Exactly my thoughts...a lot of people try to build business linearly...meaning adding more customers, which is a good though. But building the business geometrically...meaning upselling and getting more sales through one customer, is usually easier because you already have them as a customer.

I upsale for shrub/tree trimming, mulching, pressure washing...just those services alone could help you fill your route some more.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Easy to say up sell. Many customers don't want to mow and are only willing to pay for that but will not "splurge" to have great looking grounds.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some mow N go's that as I predicted dry weather coming on and could hear "can you skip a week" miles away I recommended a few weeks ago that "An hour or two worth of pruning/trimming the landscape in the front would go a long way, especially if we get into a drought and the grass doesn't need mowed". Now they all kinda just shrugged it off. Now this week the lawns don't need cut and and guess what ? They want the landscape trimmed. A few of these are overgrown big time. I like these jobs cause people will notice the overgrown mow n go house pruned up.