Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Best bang for the buck?

I'm mowing about 2.5 acres that is pretty open, but some is a little rough at least when riding on my Cub Cadet 1042. I'm starting to research ZTR's and want to get some input on the best bang for the buck. I'd like to have a 60" deck, but would settle for a 50", want it to be reliable and keep it for 10 years, and don't really want to spend more than $5000. Less is better! I've looked at the Bad Boy that is Tractor Supply and it appears to be a pretty solid machine for a homeowner, but I'm worried about dealer support if I have any issues. The other machine I've looked at is a Toro MX5060 with the 50" deck. Are there any other mowers you could recommend that fit my budget of $5000 or less? I've considered used, but would really like to have warranty and don't feel I know enough about ZTR's to pick a well maintained used model.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Husqvarna MZ6128ZT
Ariens Max Zoom
Gravely ZT HD
(The Ariens and Gravely are the same machine, just different color and Gravely offers Kawasaki engine option.)
Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
Husqvarna MZ6128ZT
Ariens Max Zoom
Gravely ZT HD
(The Ariens and Gravely are the same machine, just different color and Gravely offers Kawasaki engine option.)
Do each of these companies manufacture their own mowers or are these made by some other company and rebranded?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn03 View Post
Do each of these companies manufacture their own mowers or are these made by some other company and rebranded?
Well, I suppose you could say they make their own ZTRs as none of the pro-sumer/entry-pro thru full commercial models are made by AYP, MTD,...Not sure about the residential ones.

However, Husqvarna and Dixon are the part of the same company, so they are, for all intents, the same. Just like Ariens and Gravely. I think there's some marriage between Exmark and Toro too. Last I knew, the only fully independent manufacturer was Scag.

The models I referenced are all going to be significantly heavier built than residential units (bigger hydros, decks, frames, engines, warranty), and should be within a couple hundred bucks of your $5k budget.

If you could swing it, I really like the looks of the Bob-Cat FastCat Pro, Dixie Chopper Magnum, Hustler FasTrak SD, and Scag Freedom, but all of these are going to be closer to $6500 - $7000.

Last edited by dbear; 06-18-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO, Id rather have a higher end model with >500hrs then a newer light duty mower.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
Well, I suppose you could say they make their own ZTRs as none of the pro-sumer/entry-pro thru full commercial models are made by AYP, MTD,...Not sure about the residential ones.

However, Husqvarna and Dixon are the part of the same company, so they are, for all intents, the same. Just like Ariens and Gravely. I think there's some marriage between Exmark and Toro too. Last I knew, the only fully independent manufacturer was Scag.

The models I referenced are all going to be significantly heavier built than residential units (bigger hydros, decks, frames, engines, warranty), and should be within a couple hundred bucks of your $5k budget.

If you could swing it, I really like the looks of the Bob-Cat FastCat Pro, Dixie Chopper Magnum, Hustler FasTrak SD, and Scag Freedom, but all of these are going to be closer to $6500 - $7000.
Yea, I'd rather spend no more than $5000 and would prefer to get one under $5k, that is why I was looking at the Toro.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yea, I'd rather spend no more than $5000 and would prefer to get one under $5k, that is why I was looking at the Toro.
Hustler Fastrak 48", right around 5K!

http://www.hustlerturf.com/products/fastrak.html

BobCat Fastcat Pro 48"
Example >>http://www.sksalesonline.com/pages/B...itDetail/70016

BadBoy ZT60" I am not sure of the price, but maybe Retro could pop in and price this, but I believe it is around $4999.00.

As always, pop in a dealer and see what they have and talk some Turkey! Never know what they have with a beard on it. Also, you still want to test ride and see what you like. All these mowers listed all have a different feel to them.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 06-18-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That Airens Max Zoom Dbear listed would be one to look at also.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

So it's the Toro MX5060 not a good option if I wanted to stay below $5k?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
So it's the Toro MX5060 not a good option if I wanted to stay below $5k?
Posted via Mobile Device
For what it's worth, the Toro MX has lighter hydros. Not sure if that's a big deal or not. My local Toro dealers aren't as good as some for other brands, so I hadn't looked into them. I have read where those who have them seem content. See if your dealer will let you demo one.