Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

How has the drought been on you guys down there. I didn't mow at all in July here in central wisc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah i am out of East Troy (Alpine Valley). Started last year & growing a lot this year. Are you a solo LCO?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah July was BAD. After we got some rain my phone was ringing again. I also work part time at night at the home depot.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck up there in Appleton, in the Waukesha Area as well. 2nd year mowing, up in the air right now to get rid of it our continue the grind.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Good luck to you too whatever you decide to go with. Wish i could see the pics on your thread a lot of pic threads i look at the pics dont show up not sure why. Heard Irwin has nasty wind storms guess a good place to go to get ready for the big sandbox.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmm just breezed back threw it, worked for me, I got some more to put up but been slackin. I got a offer on the table right now for 5,200. I'm asking 6,000. Might take it, looking threw my shed there is a few things I'd like to keep.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you want to get out of the business Swampy?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

yeah dont understand why i cant see them its the same on the pics thread some show some dont and obviously others see them since they comment on them. if you decide to "part out" rather than sell everything together let me know what you got might be interested there is a few things i need to get and could upgrade a few things as well. is the drought what pushed you to the edge. i am just starting and dont depend on this income but if i did i would be up the creek no paddles or canoe. hoping to try to do well this fall and winter with things and then hit spring hard. hopefully we get more precip this winter and next summer than we did these last seasons. shotty to follow a winter like that with a summer like this for plowing and mowing
Old 08-17-2012, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to get out for a few reasons. To me it isn't fun anymore, to me it doesn't present a challenge, going from one house to the next makes me feel like a zombie with a string trimmer, "UHHHHHHHH GRASSSSSSSS......." My fianace is trying so hard to become a teacher, she has the degree already and is applying to every corner of the state except Milwaukee Public Schools, granted I could just pull up my roots and start a new business in a new location, but it would be like I'm unemployed for a year or two. Another thing is no benefits, yeah I'm planning on sticking out with the Army Reserve till at least retirement, and yes there is a pension (not the greatest). But I'm getting older, I'll be thirty in about a year with no health insurance. Lastly its just time, I still help my buddy out applicating his lawns and now have the night job to help pay bills/student loans, which I found out this year that even lawn maintenance has its good years and bad years. Its not like I just got fustrated with it and quit, I thought this out for a while, I had time as I work solo and time on the mower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardworkswi View Post
yeah dont understand why i cant see them its the same on the pics thread some show some dont and obviously others see them since they comment on them. if you decide to "part out" rather than sell everything together let me know what you got might be interested there is a few things i need to get and could upgrade a few things as well. is the drought what pushed you to the edge. i am just starting and dont depend on this income but if i did i would be up the creek no paddles or canoe. hoping to try to do well this fall and winter with things and then hit spring hard. hopefully we get more precip this winter and next summer than we did these last seasons. shotty to follow a winter like that with a summer like this for plowing and mowing
Well I may part out still, I have people interested in the accounts, but not so much for the equipment. I don't want to just sell the accounts and now get to sit on equipment for over a year waiting for it to sell. If you want send me a message to what your looking for and maybe I can put together a package for you, I like package deals cause you get more and I get rid of more.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

hope your wife gets a good teaching job. that would solve your insurance problem. i originaly was going to be a teacher got associates and didnt continue with schooling. probably tough out there with the budget issues. i am lucky my wife's job has awesome ins and decent pay but i still need to work full time elsewhere while i build the business. Right now would be a hard time for me to buy anything without getting rid of what I have that I would be upgrading. Just had one of those unexpected surprises yesterday that is gonna eat up most of the stack i had under the mattress. bummer. But would depend on what it is and cost and all of that. started with a 21" honda, 50" cub tractor and straight shaft cub with attachments. happy with the honda and trimmer but the cub tractor doesn't mulch well and I don't want to bag so wont buy the bagger.

What I am looking for: 36" stand on or walkbehind, ztr or 48" or bigger stand on, br600 backpack blower, better trailer, snowblower/plow (for aa 92 chevy 1500) with the driveways here think I am better of with a nice blower over the plow, aerator, slit seeder, tow behind spreader & sprayer if you were in the area I would be interested in the accts.

good luck to you. and thanks for serving