Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2012, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zo6 View Post
What is a "weed eater" exactly??????
You know- four legs, horns and/or curly white hair they make clothes out of, craps constantly, some people think tastes good with mint jelly.........
Old 06-19-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=newz7151;4446951]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Unless something has changed, I believe that the Troybilt is still made by Ryobi for MTD. /QUOTE]

Ryobi is a rebranded Homelite. MTD, who actually had the Ryobi brand for a while, no longer produces the Ryobi units and parts.. well.. the common ones are still out there as far as filters and fuel line kits, but much more than that and.. ppfftt.
Ryobi is an actual brand, or at least was. They were around for a looong time before MTD got involved. I was buying Ryobi power saws down in FLA back in the early '80's for a lot less than what you could get a Makita or Milwaukee for back then, and they lasted just as long.

I bought my Ryobi trimmer long before I ever saw any Homelite, CC, or Troy Bilt trimmers in any stores around here, and when I finally did see those brands start showing up, they were exactly the same units with different colors and labels.

MTD was the US distributor for them for a while, and maybe even owned them, I can't say one way or the other on that. I know I used to call Ryobi directly here in the US when I needed a part or something.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 06-19-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zo6 View Post
What is a "weed eater" exactly??????
It's called a Billy Goat...

Exmark Lazer ZX 29 hp Kaw 60in.
Exmark Turf Tracer HP 19hp Kaw 48in.
Honda HRX 217 21in.
Stihl FS90R Trimmer
Stihl FS94R Trimmer
Stihl FS250R Trimmer
Stihl FC 110 Edger
Stihl BR600 BackPack Blower
Stihl MS261 Pro Chain Saw
Echo CS 310 Chain Saw
Stihl HT 131 Pole Saw
Stihl SG20 BackPack Sprayer
Kawasaki KHT 600D Hedge Trimmer
Kawasaki KCL 525A Extended Reach Hedge Trimmer
Old 06-19-2012, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Back when I bought it, I needed one quick, and I didn't have near the amount of 2 stroke stuff that I do today, so I wanted to try a 4 stroke which would mean I wouldn't have to have so much mixed fuel sitting around going stale. While it is quieter, it is heavier, and also while Stihl 4 mixer's are very torquey, the one you are looking at isn't nearly so much. Mine was designed for using normal use with .095" line but it would have been much better off running .080" instead power wise- if you run any other type of line besides round that is.

Overall, it was a great little trimmer for part time use, but if you need one for all day type trimming, of the two you are looking at get the Echo. No valves to adjust, lighter, revs faster, less moving parts in the engine to wear and/or cause trouble, and responds faster to a load being put on it.
Thanks! I just put that Echo on there as an example. The Home Depot has about 10 different models of Echo trimmers. My max spending limit right now is about $275. Would there be any other Echo models that you would recommend for that price?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebyb View Post
Thanks! I just put that Echo on there as an example. The Home Depot has about 10 different models of Echo trimmers. My max spending limit right now is about $275. Would there be any other Echo models that you would recommend for that price?
Yea, it's orange in color and called a Husqvarna! For $249 at Lowe's you can get the Husky 223L, and it is one sweet trimmer. I love mine, and I use it all the time. Plenty of power for almost any type of grass trimming except really tall, thick weedy crap. It only weighs 9 lbs, has a 24.5 cc engine and 1.01 hp. Best feeding, easiest to load trimmer head I've ever used too (outside of the speedfeed head). To top it all off, it has an outstanding rep for reliability. For another $30 bucks ($279) you can get the even better 323L with the same engine and weight, but 1.2 hp and a solid drive shaft.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

weedeater is a brand name of cheap trimmers/mowers sold at places like walmart. everyone calls trimmers weedeaters around here though.

hey it doesn't have to be good to make a company money. i bet weedeater has sold more trimmers than any other company out there. they cost about $70 and you probably have to buy 3 of them to last as long as one good commercial $300 trimmer.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
ECHO is definitely the way to go, I have no troubles out of my 2 SRM225's. plenty of power and light. the SRM225 goes for about 200.00 and in my opinion is the best buy. The SRM230 is 289.00 and has a 22.8cc engine compared to the SRM225's 21.2, but of course it is heavier.

I have a like new Troy Built 4 stroke that just sits in my shed, anyone interested I'm in Md. If you don't want to mix gas and want something quieter that's it's positives.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=Ridin' Green;4446965]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post

Ryobi is an actual brand, or at least was. They were around for a looong time before MTD got involved. I was buying Ryobi power saws down in FLA back in the early '80's for a lot less than what you could get a Makita or Milwaukee for back then, and they lasted just as long.

I bought my Ryobi trimmer long before I ever saw any Homelite, CC, or Troy Bilt trimmers in any stores around here, and when I finally did see those brands start showing up, they were exactly the same units with different colors and labels.

MTD was the US distributor for them for a while, and maybe even owned them, I can't say one way or the other on that. I know I used to call Ryobi directly here in the US when I needed a part or something.
I am simply telling you the way things are now. If we have an older model "Ryobi" branded unit come in for repair that is an MTD range built unit, some of the parts are available through MTD from our MTD central. MTD Ryobi was from 2000-2004. If it is a newer "Ryobi" that is in for repairs (which we generally do not take in anymore), they are rebadged Homelite units and parts are sourced through our Homelite/TTI distributor.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=newz7151;4448004]
Quote:

I am simply telling you the way things are now. If we have an older model "Ryobi" branded unit come in for repair that is an MTD range built unit, some of the parts are available through MTD from our MTD central. MTD Ryobi was from 2000-2004. If it is a newer "Ryobi" that is in for repairs (which we generally do not take in anymore), they are rebadged Homelite units and parts are sourced through our Homelite/TTI distributor.
So who owns Homelite now?

BTW- I see the quote system is F'd again.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 06-20-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Okay, I am thinking about these two weedeaters:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_372989-65481...3606322&rpp=24

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...d=10053&MERCH=

I know Echo is one of the best weedeaters made, but I like the 4 stroke that Troy Built offers. My main question is, would the Troy Built hold up as good, or at least almost as good, as the Echo? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!
Do doubt in my mind Troy Built .I have a MTD/Ryobi 31cc 4 cycle that is 7 years old and it has been awesome I even run it to day and I have 3 Troy Built 29cc 2 are brand new.I am thinking of geting a Honda 35cc 4 cycle to play with.

Tags
echo , string trimmer , troy built , weedeater