Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2000, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I get most of my prolific ideas while riding the mower. I guess I'm bored and start thinking of different ways of doing things. I have a lot of open areas to cut so that means long staight-aways. I don't have a head set to listen to.(next year Eric). Do most of you find yourself in deep thought while cutting.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 08-14-2000, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob,
I also use the time to think, but I seem to forget the brilliant ideas that come to me which does remind me of a saying that relates to this...."The wisest man I ever knew taught me something I never forgot. And although I never forgot it, I never quite memorized it either. So what Im left with is the memory of having learned something very wise that I cant quite remember."
Old 08-14-2000, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

I use to use the time while riding equipment to think, but now i find it to be "my time".....

I hate thinking.....working full time during the day for 8 hours and then going right to my part time business after work for another 6 hours each day leaves little time for anything.

So, when I am at my full time job and sitting on a tractor mowing mile long straights along a airfield....do I think....nope. I just turn on my radio set (just got one...gemplars ran a 20% off sale on them last month, best purchase I ever made) and enjoy the day. Sometimes I get so involved I can't even hear the jets rumbling by at 150 mph 50 ft away.

I have to think too much when I get to my own business and have customers asking if I could move one tree a 'little' to the left. Or i have to think too much when it rains for 2 weeks....hhmmmm......and the job I was suppose to finish 2 weeks ago still is finished. This is when I think.

For me, mow time is relax time. I love it. And the best part is, I get paid too.....I know for most of you, mow time is 'work', as your livlihood depends on it and It does matter if the grass is cut today.

I'm just lucky enough to be able to mow for someone else with no worries. Wish it could be that way for everyone else, as I would not give it up for the world.

steveair
Old 08-14-2000, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In 8 years I thought for about a week. (last summer) I learned the alphabet backwards. Now I just let the mind wander.
Old 08-14-2000, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My thought for today: Is time spent wasted, really wasted time???

I really need the sun to come out for more than an hour.
Old 08-14-2000, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't spend alot of time on the crapper, so alot of my thinkin' time is driving between customers, & while on the lawn.
Keeps the brain active & I can't do much of anything else while driving my Z anyways.......
Old 08-14-2000, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

My largest account is a 65 acre retirement community with about 40 of it dedicated to rolling hills.That's 8 to ten hours on an ex-mark rider depending on weather. I've spent most of that time blueprinting in my head the book I'm going to start writing this winter during slow season. It helps keep my mind off billing, bitchy clients,bitchy employees, bitchy wife.HE HE Just kidding honey!
Old 08-14-2000, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jay,
8 to ten hours of rolling hills?! It sounds like a commercial! Where's the birds chirping, and the morning music? Providing there isn't that bad of trimming, I could only DREAM of an account like that! I envy you.
Good luck with it, enjoy, and DON'T fall asleep at the stick!!! lol

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-15-2000, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think when I'm mowing. I always think of how nice it would be to have a Exmark ZTR or even one of their W/B's. I also think about what will happen if I don't stop thinking to make the turn at the end of the pass.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-15-2000, 12:47 AM

i do alot of thinking when i mow. I think about all sorts of carzy stuff, like the meaning of life, and what i'm doinmg after work and some other stuff i'm not telling you guys