Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-01-2003, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Fax Marketing

I have a list of fax numbers, for a number of businesses that I have been working on for a while now. The only thing that I do not have is the contact name on some of them. But I am wondering if anyone has ever done this, faxed advertisements, letters, etc. Kinda like a mass mailing, but by fax machine. I am thinking about trying it. It is cheap (only a phone call) and one copy of the letter or advertisement.

David A. Parks
Old 01-01-2003, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

DO NOT DO IT!

It is the most annoying form of advertising ever conceived. In canada there are strict laws against it. Most people do not want you wasting their fax supplies on your message
Old 01-01-2003, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, look, a new fax message.......

ARRRGGGHHHHH, another bloody fool using my ink and paper to try to sell me some snakeoil, fabulous stocks, eternal health, or some other junk!
Old 01-01-2003, 12:22 PM

I agree - Don't Do It. Several states have banned fax spamming starting 1/1/2003. I wish I could remember all the states as reported on the news program I was listening to yesteday.

Besides, nothing beats putting on a 100-watt smile and greeting your prespective clients for the first time.

Old 01-01-2003, 01:04 PM
Banned

michigan has adopted the fax soliciting law, which kinda blows because i have done it in the past and it works.
Old 01-01-2003, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All my tele communications, inlcuding fax is handled by my computer. The program has a filter so that all calls without a valid caller ID is transferred to an error message and hang up without the opportunity to leave a message. It's fun to see how many times to check the log book and see how many times a die hard solicitor will call back. Anyway, with this program to send me a junk fax, it needs to have a valid ID from where it is coming. Over the years I have accumulated about 5MB of junk faxes all pasted together on a storage disc. When I get one now, I return it with the 5MB of junk faxes. Before I leave the office for the day, I program the fax software to dial the number say about 500 times during the night. Eventually I get the line and tie up theirs. Very effective to eliminating this problem. I get about one junk fax a year and never from the same number twice.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

back in the old days when faxes first begain to popular I use to save all the junk faxes. At night before I left the office I would tape them together into an endless loop to feed through the machine all night. I would target the most insistant advertiser. With the machine set on infinite redial it would eventually get through and would send one long endless fax until the victim got in to work in the morning to find about 500' of his fax paper on the floor with their advertising returned to them.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Addict

I know this is off topic, but what about e-mails? Anyone ever had success doing that? or is that considered "annoying"? I sent a few e-mails to property management companies last October(aprox.10 e-mails). Only one reply, but that was from a realtor.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dan deutekom
back in the old days when faxes first begain to popular I use to save all the junk faxes. At night before I left the office I would tape them together into an endless loop to feed through the machine all night. I would target the most insistant advertiser. With the machine set on infinite redial it would eventually get through and would send one long endless fax until the victim got in to work in the morning to find about 500' of his fax paper on the floor with their advertising returned to them.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is going to get me in trouble!. JK
Old 01-02-2003, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Georgia has a law where you can not fax advertising without permission from the customer.

I would start a telemarketing campain around February and ask if you can fax some information about your company. You can also try to set an appointment to meet the office manager or owner. This works great for me.