Register free!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

St. Augustine with brown spreading

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and a new home owner with some lawn help needed. We bought the home about a month ago and the lawn wasn't in the best shape. I started mowing it at about 2.5-3" and we were watering it every other night. The lawn was looking great after about two weeks with the grass spreading and growing in bald spots and becoming a nice dark green color. However, about a week ago I notice some brown spots on the grass leaves and some of the grass turning completely brown. So I started doing some reading online and discovered that watering in the evening is bad because it promotes fungi growth. So I immediately stopped watering at night and bought some Scotts Lawn Fungus Control and spread it at the Curative rate a week ago. It has been a week now and I've seen no improvements in the spots I noticed and I've also noticed it start in other spots. I'm clueless and have not idea how to stop this fungus. Well I think it's a fungus but I'm not 100% sure what type. I think maybe brown spot or dollar spot. I'm going to attach some pictures I took this morning and if anyone has any advice or experience, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like Grey Leaf Spot Fungus to me but I am just trying to help from many miles away on the internet.

From the Background you have given, the time of year etc it makes sense. That much moisture is not good for your SA long term and yes you are correct in thinking about not watering in the evening and therefor leaving the leaf blades moist.

A couple of things if I may suggest too.

1. Sharpen your blades - the photos show some ragged tearing of the blades - this leaves the turf more prone to diseases and stresses.

2. If possible - raise your cut height. It looks low on top of what you also stated. It appears by the size of the trunks on those trees that a good portion of that area is under at least partial shade. Give the turf the best chance to do photosynthesis by leaving more of the leaf blade. The shortest most of here will cut SA is 4 inch range. Some here do go roughly 3.5. So just set your mower assuming it is a residential push mower, to the highest setting an don't look back.

3. IF possible - let the turf tell you when it is time to water, at least for a while until it is not stressed. Let it just start to show signs of wilt before you water. After that I am assuming that a deep watering twice a week of 3/4 or so should do your turf good enough? Not sure as your soil type is most likely considerably different than mine here.

4. Fungicide - Use anything labled for GLS is better than nothing. I have had decent luck with both Eagle and Heritage on my lawn to a extent. I will also share that the cost of both these products are expensive ...so even though you may be a do it yourselfer, it may be cheaper and provide better results in the long run to hire a professional with a great reputation.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay. I can sharpen my mower blade to fix the tearing of the grass. I have a self-propelled Toro mower with a big back wheel and currently I have the front set to max height and the back set level with the front but the back has two more heights. So I guess setting the back higher will raise it somehow even through the front will be lower? Also you said you think it's grey leaf spot. I'm just curious on how you came to that since I want to learn my self on these things.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twcblackhand6970 View Post
I'm just curious on how you came to that since I want to learn my self on these things.

Thanks in advance.
It is a very common disease that we face down here especially during our rainy season so over the years I have learned some of these diseases from asking. My guess is you recreated similar conditions to our rainy season with the irrigation and your hot weather which most likely stayed warm and humid during the evening.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I forgot to include this earlier.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/lh047

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp126

Old 07-10-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Chinch bugs
Old 07-11-2012, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasssales2001 View Post
Chinch bugs
And what would make you say that????????????????? as it does not look typical of fresh chinch bug damage?

Old 07-12-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm planning on buying some Heritage G so I can spread it with my scotts rotary spreader. Also curious at how to get rid of mushrooms.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twcblackhand6970 View Post
I'm planning on buying some Heritage G so I can spread it with my scotts rotary spreader. Also curious at how to get rid of mushrooms.
Remove the excess moisture and chances are the mushrooms will go away with it. On the Heritage - it is expensive but good...if the problems exist or conditons for fungus are still present in 28 days according to the label you may need to reapply.

IF you can afford and purchase another quality fungicide like Eagle - which is a foliar spray - I suggest doing that as well if this is going to be typical on this section of the lawn. This allows you to rotate fungicides but also the foliar seems to work quicker in my experience.