Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
One thing sand will do is cover heavy clay soils and put off the dried up cracking problem... Even a 1/2" of sand can be added to cool season grasses w/out affecting the existing turf... not to say that some rooting may occur in the sand itself, but it is already rooted in the current soil, so not an issue...

This Portland cement thing is really becoming a cliche' for a lot of people who give no thought at all to OM in the soil... It's got to be 50% or nothing is another crazy idea that makes no sense in the real world... My solution 'after the fact' is to apply sandy compost, preferably after aeration... my solution before the fact is to till in sandy compost and slope the grade to a french drain type scenario equal to the drain in a garage floor...
There is no sandy compost. You put down sand or you put down compost.

Adding organic matter is the way to improve a soil. Top dressing with 1/2" of organic matter and aerating every year will continually improve the soil. Eventually the soil and organic matter will mix together.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
There is no sandy compost. You put down sand or you put down compost.

Adding organic matter is the way to improve a soil. Top dressing with 1/2" of organic matter and aerating every year will continually improve the soil. Eventually the soil and organic matter will mix together.
Why can't you "cut" the compost with sand? This is what I do with my compost pile, I let it rot down and then mix it 3/1 with screened sand.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxer411 View Post
I have a cleint who wants me to smooth out their lawn, and I don't know how I should go about in doing so. The lawn is not severely bumpy, but it is noticable while mowing. I only have a push mower, so i cannot pull a roller; I only have a 75 pound carpet roller available to me. What should I do?
I dont know if you tried your 75lb roller yet, but I think you will find it will not make a noticable difference. I use a 970lb roller to get rid of frost heave, but the roller wont cure a bumpy yard. I think the other fellows are right, you will need to top dress to get the desired result. Good Luck
Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Solid clay soils here and they are not concrete after topdressing with sand...in fact you can actually dig in them now. The sand+clay= concrete is bs. Sand is all they use around here for topdressing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Solid clay soils here and they are not concrete after topdressing with sand...in fact you can actually dig in them now. The sand+clay= concrete is bs. Sand is all they use around here for topdressing.
Posted via Mobile Device
But there are pier-reviewed research papers from prestigious universities that say what you guys are doing , is impossible and you need to stop before all of GA is one big parking lot made of concrete/adobe...
Old 06-24-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
But there are pier-reviewed research papers from prestigious universities that say what you guys are doing , is impossible and you need to stop before all of GA is one big parking lot made of concrete/adobe...
Yeah I know...what people fail to understand is that even though we have clay based soils, they are not 100% clay. If my Sand topdressed lawn was concrete can someone tell me why it's full of earthworms?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I didn't mix with sand the cost of topdressing would be prohibitive here. The topsoil available is crap. Somebody said the same thing about mixing sand with clay and it didn't create concrete.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
If I didn't mix with sand the cost of topdressing would be prohibitive here. The topsoil available is crap. Somebody said the same thing about mixing sand with clay and it didn't create concrete.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your lawns just haven't fully cured into concrete yet...give them a few more weeks...months...years
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, so I have tried the roller, and as said above it really didn't make much of a difference. Due to the fact that the lawn isn't very large, I feel that I could top dress by hand, and probably use a hand aerator(not afraid to work hard to keep from spending too much money). I am going to be making around $2000 here in the July month, So i may use some of that money to invest in this equipment and top dress. What compost or top dressing material could I buy at Lowes or Home Depot? Could somebody also give me sort of an all around guide for the actual top dressing process? There hasn't been much rain here in Iowa, so I feel like I would have to water a lot during this whole process.
Thanks!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxer411 View Post
Ok, so I have tried the roller, and as said above it really didn't make much of a difference. Due to the fact that the lawn isn't very large, I feel that I could top dress by hand, and probably use a hand aerator(not afraid to work hard to keep from spending too much money). I am going to be making around $2000 here in the July month, So i may use some of that money to invest in this equipment and top dress. What compost or top dressing material could I buy at Lowes or Home Depot? Could somebody also give me sort of an all around guide for the actual top dressing process? There hasn't been much rain here in Iowa, so I feel like I would have to water a lot during this whole process.
Thanks!
Search my old posts
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
smooth roller bumpy soil