Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Taking care of overgrowh... [recommendations?]

Hello! thanks for this neat forum.

I got a problem. I basically have paverstones which have lots of (grass/some weed) growth that keeps coming up. It is only about half a foot width... but all the way down the track.

What could work best as a spray to keep this at bay?

To potentially complicate matters... we have mini-tree/hedge bushes planted. It would be about 3 feet away from this problem area.

A] Would any spray be a problem for them?
B] What is best (other than weekly trimming) to handle this?

Thank you for anyone who knows best.

Sincerely, Guest Lawn
Old 06-20-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you are three feet away from the plants you are more than fine to use glyphosate (Round Up) to kill anything growing. Glyphosate is non-selective so it will kill any grass and weeds you spray it on. For the most part you can spray it in beds on weeds growing right along with any other established larger plants such as shrubs, bushes, tress etc. You really just need to be extra careful if the plants are more sensitive specimen species.

If I am understanding your description correctly, the weeds are growing up from within the cracks between the paver? If this is the case, to prevent this in the future you can use a power washer to remove the sand from between the pavers and refill the joints with polymetric sand which will help prevent weeds in the cracks.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use a preemergence over the stones might help prevent it. Don't buy the home depot crap though. The previous post is good. polymeric sand has a harnening compound in it that will be harder for weeds to poke through than other types of sand in your joints.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 06-20-2012, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you!

If I understand correctly... Round-Up for example, could be utilized
even particularly close to the bush/plant... with no problem (unless
it is especially sensitive). I assume this is rare?

So a foot or more away will not be an issue?

Thank you for info!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

One extra follow-up for the expert.

Is the action of just "spraying" the leafs of the non-selective plant, sufficient?

What action is happening?

Really no SOAKING of the ground with round-up is necessary for eliminating overgrowths?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest Lawn View Post
Thank you!

If I understand correctly... Round-Up for example, could be utilized
even particularly close to the bush/plant... with no problem (unless
it is especially sensitive). I assume this is rare?

Yes, it is very rear, if you had sensitive plants you would more than liekly know as they would require more maintenance throughout the season to keep them thriving.

So a foot or more away will not be an issue?

More than enough distance. If you were to get OVERSPRAY onto the hedges the most damage you would likely see would be burning to the leaves you accidentally spray. Soaking the hedges would be a different story.

Thank you for info!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest Lawn View Post
One extra follow-up for the expert.

Is the action of just "spraying" the leafs of the non-selective plant, sufficient?

with glyphosate (round up) yes

What action is happening?

it is a folier spray and is taken in systemically and spread throughout the plant to kill the whole plant including the roots.

Really no SOAKING of the ground with round-up is necessary for eliminating overgrowths?

A good rule of thumb is to spray enough to wet the leaves. Spraying to little (a light misting) will cause a surface burn and not kill off the plant. The plant will look to be dieing but the roots will not be killed and will send up more shoots. Doing a strong soak on hardier weeds will often cause the plant to shut down systemically, preventing the pesticide from being moved throughout the plant and like misting will cause some die back but not elimination. Following the rule of thumb of wetting the leaves will be sufficient for most grasses and other annual weeds.
hope that helps
Old 06-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Sponsor

Be aware that the chances are good that the roots of the shrubs are more than likely sharing the same area as the weeds. I have seen in some cases where the root systems
grow into or together. Through translocation it is possible to have the shrubs damaged with the use of Round-up. At least it has happened to me on a few occasions.
easy-lift guy

Tags
overgrowth grass weed