Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2012, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Rotary Brush Mower

I have a Takeuchi TL130 that puts out 18GPM and would like to get a mower to use around my shop and also to possibly generate some extra work. My first question is what brands should I look at, I like the open front that some offer, I've looked at the Brush Monster, Bobcat brushcat, Diamond, CID (Dirtmans2007 mower). I want a heavy duty mower but not looking to spend a fortune since I don't see myself mowing everyday. Since I have a low flow machine at the lower end of only 18gpm should I look at 60" vs 72" or does the extra foot really matter. Most mowers require a min of 16-18gpm but then the CID requires 11-20GPM to run the mower, so which should I be looking at.

Also how well of a cut do this mower leave as far floating across a field. What kind of pricing do you charge for a brush mower, I'm thinking a skid and mower will still be higher than someone with a reg. tractor and bushog.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use an ammbusher. I have a $500 minimum. I prefer skid mowers because I can see what I'm cutting and hopefully stop if I come across something.

I have a jd4400 and a 513 bush hog as well but I've never used it. I've always been worried about running over debris and flat tires .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

definitely don't get a 72" with 18 gpm.

An older brushcat will work good if it's the 60". the new ones are a lot heavier and work better with more gpm.

The cut will run across the board depending on how good you get. One with a roller like a Brushcat will follow the ground contour but if it's rough or sandy ground, it won't work as well and will beat you up. The ammbusher style can gouge the earth if you put too much pressure on the skids.
I'd rent one and see how it does with your machine. They are long and heavy out front... I have a 72" brushcat that I used on 3,250 ROC machine and it feels like a pallet of bricks. I'm considering going back to a 60 inch get get some of the weight and size down but I often work in steep and/or rough terrain. Cut is pretty good, though, on first pass in thick grass. Doesn't mulch up grass with runners (thick bermuda style grasses) but chops weeds, prairie grass, saplings, etc. pretty good.

It generally looks better if your mower covers your tracks or you can end up with a striping effect. I think the 72" brushcat is 1900 lbs as an example.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 05-27-2012, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

60" is perfect, the TL130 is 62" wide across the tracks. They have a good amount of power behind the flow, I ran a high flow requirement flail mower on mine and it just chewed through everything on 18 gpm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The ammbusher isn't supposed to be flat on the ground. About 2 inches off in the front and 6 inches in the back
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a TL 120 Id like to get one for too.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've had this one for about three years now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/72-Heavy-Dut...item3cad5f3551

It's gotten used on 20 to 30 different machines or so from 15 gpm to 22 gpm standard flow. On the Tak tl120 or gehl ctl55 (15 gpm) it does an alright job even in higher grass, but the machine has to be constantly rev'd...a 60" version would do better. I think it weighs right around a thousand pounds. I've had Bobcat's/cat/bradco's version and they are super heavy.

If it's used on a machine with 18 gpm or better (seems weird but 3 gpm is a world of difference) - it's the cat's meow. I've modified the deck quite a bit...with a discharge out the left front and right rear, and welded some short leaf springs on the back of the mower so I wouldn't have to be constantly adjusting height as it would scalp badly without them. It's gotten a ton of use and has held up fine.

Sharpened the outer edges of the blades and it cuts through 4" locust trees without blinking. I wouldn't trade the open front for the closed front either...I maintain the overhanging limbs along the fence rows around here.

Look at this unit on ebay (watch the youtube of it he posted in his ad): http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Mower-Mod...item2570f328fe
Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A nice open discharge area on both sides is key to cutting in grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2012, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

The open front looks like it would work better for mowing down smaller trees and brush. For the most part it looks to me like they all have the same mower deck and blades it just comes down to the different pump they put on them and I'm sure they all just use some random hydraulic pump. I realize the bigger the pump the more faster it will spend and process material, but some of these mower manufacturers I've seen have 11-20gpm range and then the next one will have 16-25gpm range so which one is better the higher one??? Any one know anything about the Brush Monster?

Also I've seen on Youtube videos some people mow without a front door or cab which I do not have a cab on my machine, as long as I don't going raise the mower up will I have any problems with debries flying back. I don't want to hear about the dust or pollen or bees just if there's any danger with flying objects coming back, I use to bushog for years with no cab on my tractor.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtwerks View Post
The open front looks like it would work better for mowing down smaller trees and brush. For the most part it looks to me like they all have the same mower deck and blades it just comes down to the different pump they put on them and I'm sure they all just use some random hydraulic pump. I realize the bigger the pump the more faster it will spend and process material, but some of these mower manufacturers I've seen have 11-20gpm range and then the next one will have 16-25gpm range so which one is better the higher one??? Any one know anything about the Brush Monster?

Also I've seen on Youtube videos some people mow without a front door or cab which I do not have a cab on my machine, as long as I don't going raise the mower up will I have any problems with debries flying back. I don't want to hear about the dust or pollen or bees just if there's any danger with flying objects coming back, I use to bushog for years with no cab on my tractor.
The company out of denton, nc uses parker drive motors and hoses...good stuff. They've got it geared right with the gear box too. The downside to their deck is if you leave it outside and don't clean the grasses off well everytime - it will rot the deck out very quickly (due to their design catching standing water). I simply put mine under cover.

You'll be more efficient with a TL130 on the lower side gpm (11 - 22) instead of the higher side (16 - 25) since you are only at 18, imo, or else you'll always be rev'd up high.

I try not to mow when mid day temps are high...wait till evening or first thing in the morning...the extra heat will drive your hydro temps sky high. And always be careful with your radiator/coolers getting clogged with seed and floating debris. Also constantly check your engine bay for sticks and leaves from trees - can cause a fire in a heartbeat.

My friend borrows mine once or twice a year to mow his six acre piece off. Takes him a good part of the day to do it.

I was mowing next to a road once this spring and hit a rock crown coming up from the ground in super tall grass....clipped it cleanly off and set a 10 pound chunk of rock 15' over in the middle of the road. Got to it before traffic did.