Register free!

Old 06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hee hee, wait till Kiril sees this

The OP should know he can manufacture a swing joint using funny fittings & funny pipe... for starters.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For all the time and fittings a simple hand made swing joint and a 6" popup would have been easier. Those multiple 90's in a J shape are all over FL. They dont hold up to the lawn guys repeatedly running over them. Get comfortable with working with flex, it really makes life easier.

The conduit really needs to go all the way to the box too.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just take pride in the work you do .

Installed this controller today
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Notice clean, neat, well secured and easily serviced in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice job, Mitch, you celebrated the area you had to work with.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This why an "irrigation license" is f^%>ing r_etarded. People get there license and think they are a pro. I would bet stryker's irrigation tutorial is more educational than any state mandated license class/test.

That being said, its nice seeing an 18year old kid working and trying to get out there and learn something instead of playing video games.

Mcc, take a pic of all your repairs and installations and post them on here. If you can absorb and stomach the criticism/ advice from these anal old farts on here you will be one hell of an irrigator in a few years. Experience and knowledge is invaluable.

And google funny pipe, it will make your life wonderful.

The benefit to hardwiring is the gfi outlet will not trip and cause plant material to die if you go a week without water. Although i personally do not make a habit out of it. Damn good suggestion though
Old 06-20-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
The benefit to hardwiring is the gfi outlet will not trip and cause plant material to die if you go a week without water. Although i personally do not make a habit out of it. Damn good suggestion though
I made a habit out of having the electricians hard-wire me ahead of the external GFI. They are not friendly to us, even on a dedicated circuit.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I made a habit out of having the electricians hard-wire me ahead of the external GFI. They are not friendly to us, even on a dedicated circuit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post

You are violating code if you don't hardwire the controller into either a GFCI protected circuit or the load side of a GFCI receptacle, not to mention opening yourself up to liability. Same goes for plugging it in.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post

You are violating code if you don't hardwire the controller into either a GFCI protected circuit or the load side of a GFCI receptacle, not to mention opening yourself up to liability. Same goes for plugging it in.
On a dedicated circuit (which I aways tried my best to get),I believe my guys got around it by hard-wiring the clock and putting in a water-proof housing with an on/off switch
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post

So what is the advantage of hard wiring if you are still on gfi circuit or on load side of a receptacle. Its still going to flip like the receptacles always do? If you hardwired w/out a gfi, wouldn't the breaker still trip? Or is it more for protection from lightning stopping at gfi outlet.

I don't hardwire unless replacing an existing hardwired controller, i figure that is why they come with a plug.

Last edited by muddywater; 06-20-2012 at 11:50 PM.