Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
On a dedicated circuit (which I aways tried my best to get),I believe my guys got around it by hard-wiring the clock and putting in a water-proof housing with an on/off switch
An inspector on his/her game would never pass it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
So what is the advantage of hard wiring if you are still on gfi circuit or on load side of a receptacle. Its still going to flip like the receptacles always do? If you hardwired w/out a gfi, wouldn't the breaker still trip? Or is it more for protection from lightning stopping at gfi outlet.

I don't hardwire unless replacing an existing controller, i figure that is why they come with a plug.
GFCI's are for personnel protection. They are suppose to prevent you from becoming a grounding rod. Standard circuit breakers serve for overload and short circuit protection. They operate differently and serve different purposes.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those GFIs need to be tested, just like backflow. Maybe you are right about lightning, or power surges, but I've had no problems. By the way, I don't like to see clocks plugged into an outlet. Picky me, I guess.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one gfi oulet on an entrance wall that trips once or twice a year and my irrigation controller is plugged into it. I have about 5k in annuals flowers at this entrance. How do you avoid having the outlet trip? I have even had the outlet replaced twice by an electrician.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Those GFIs need to be tested, just like backflow. Maybe you are right about lightning, or power surges, but I've had no problems. By the way, I don't like to see clocks plugged into an outlet. Picky me, I guess.
The house can burn, we need to keep the grass green
Old 06-20-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
A GFCI is not a surge arrestor. Again, different device to serve a different purpose. The code is in place to protect people. Circumventing code with creative "solutions" won't absolve you from liability.

Note, I think some codes are f'n overkill and stoopid, but this one isn't.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have one gfi oulet on an entrance wall that trips once or twice a year and my irrigation controller is plugged into it. I have about 5k in annuals flowers at this entrance. How do you avoid having the outlet trip? I have even had the outlet replaced twice by an electrician.
Any of your smart-ass electricians figured out what else is connected to that leg?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You can't. Everyone who works with controllers wired into GFCI receptacles has faced this. Replacing them can solve the problem sometimes, or the problem might be somewhere else in the circuit. The GFCI breakers are a better option IMO as they seem less prone to nuisance tripping.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Any of your smart-ass electricians figured out what else is connected to that leg?
It is a dedicated circuit. They have replaced a defective gfi outlet twice in the past 18 months.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
You can't. Everyone who works with controllers wired into GFCI receptacles has faced this. Replacing them can solve the problem sometimes, or the problem might be somewhere else in the circuit. The GFCI breakers are a better option IMO as they seem less prone to nuisance tripping.
So a gfi receptacle basically acts as a fuse? If change out to a gfi breaker, can i do a regular receptacle and be up to code?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So a gfi receptacle basically acts as a fuse? If change out to a gfi breaker, can i do a regular receptacle and be up to code?
In WA State that is permitted. Check with your local codes.