Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
So a gfi receptacle basically acts as a fuse? If change out to a gfi breaker, can i do a regular receptacle and be up to code?
No, not a fuse. It detects voltage difference between the hot and neutral. If the difference exceeds certain value, it trips.

Yes, you can use a standard receptacle on a GFCI protected circuit, however anything used outdoors needs to be weather rated (resistant) now.

Last edited by Kiril; 06-20-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
No, not a fuse. It detects voltage difference between the hot and neutral. If the difference exceeds certain value, it trips.
I will correct myself before someone else does. It detects current difference between hot and neutral, not voltage. Good thing I check my own posts. Sorry.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

RainMaster does a neat thing with the hot side where the clock is hardwired and a GFI outlet/switch circuit is provided inside the clock. (lower left)
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I will correct myself before someone else does. It detects current difference between hot and neutral, not voltage. Good thing I check my own posts. Sorry.
current imbalance actually, i understood you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
RainMaster does a neat thing with the hot side where the clock is hardwired and a GFI outlet/switch circuit is provided inside the clock. (lower left)
some of the smart pool controllers have a similar arraingment boss but neverless a gfci must be wired at the equipment pad.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
current imbalance actually
That would be a better and more technically accurate way to state it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
some of the smart pool controllers have a similar arraingment boss but neverless a gfci must be wired at the equipment pad.
Tis true. Funny thing, just had a client that was having problems with their pool lights, in particular the GFCI receptacle is was wired through kept tripping (the required one at the equipment pad). Turned out to be one of the bulbs was going bad. It was still working, for the very short period of time before it tripped the GFCI.

Last edited by Kiril; 06-21-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to sound stupid, but why not just plug it in the wall? It would be extremely hard and beyond budget at this site to hard wire it in. Theres an outlet located conveniently below.
Ill stomach the criticism. I need to learn. All that I have learned as far as working with irrigation systems/plumbing is through trial and error and of course our irrigation course. I am the only person in my family and even extended family that does any type of service work much less irrigation. I have had to learn everything I know (very very little) on my own. Its been good for me but at the same time it would have helped to have someone take me under their wings for a while to show me the ropes. I do have a neighbor that showed me the right way (overkill) to join pipes and do basic pvc work several years ago. Also have a few irrigators I can call and ask for pointers when in a squeeze.
Thanks all,
Mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Nice. Most of our Mcdonalds controllers are hardwired Pro-c's. Had a transformer fail and ended up replacing the transformer while it was "HOT" My boss would rather not bother the manager. Just tryin to make the boss happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC LAWN CARE View Post
Sorry to sound stupid, but why not just plug it in the wall?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC LAWN CARE View Post
Sorry to sound stupid, but why not just plug it in the wall?
To me, its for the same reason I hate non locking controllers. Just sayin
Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
So a gfi receptacle basically acts as a fuse? If change out to a gfi breaker, can i do a regular receptacle and be up to code?
That's what we do here; Pump and controler are on a dedicated GFI circuit breaker. Also, we don't plug controlers in outside. At least I don't; everything is hard wired. Exterior GFI outlets are a PIA.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see the advantage to hardwiring.