Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I don't see the advantage to hardwiring.
Give the client the option. That said, I prefer hardwire as it is a safer and cleaner install and it doesn't eat up an external plug.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I see the advantage in freeing up a plug. I could see it being cleaner if it is run straight back through the drywall. How is it safer? And you could only install outdoor clocks w transformer built in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2012, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the ability to "pull the plug" on anything electrical has value. That being said, I would jump through hoops to make it so my sprinkler system did not depend on a GFCI outlet/circuit never tripping.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I see the advantage in freeing up a plug. I could see it being cleaner if it is run straight back through the drywall. How is it safer? And you could only install outdoor clocks w transformer built in.
Don't run it back through the dry wall, use an extension box. It is safer because it is more water proof, protected from the elements and kid proof. This one was installed before code was changed requiring those massive covers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kiril; 06-21-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I think the ability to "pull the plug" on anything electrical has value. That being said, I would jump through hoops to make it so my sprinkler system did not depend on a GFCI outlet/circuit never tripping.
If it is wired through a GFCI receptacle, just hit the test button.

The only way you might, and I stress might, be able to get away with not installing without GFCI protection is if you put it somewhere inside like your living room plugged in. Even then a code official would likely shoot it down. Garages are now required to have GFCI protection on all receptacles.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if air conditioning units have a GFCI. If not, then maybe, just maybe, the same sort of disconnect box could be used to feed a controller.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I don't know if air conditioning units have a GFCI. If not, then maybe, just maybe, the same sort of disconnect box could be used to feed a controller.
No, they don't, but then it is not something that people are constantly accessing, with potentially with wet hands either. Further a disconnect is no different than a circuit breaker and offers no personnel protection.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

many years ago i was plumbing a pool/spa for some folks that lived in a gated community/private golf course. their controller was on a gfci inside the garage.

my demmo hammer and hot box would trip the gfci and without access, the landscape suffered, near died because the panel was inside the garage and the owners didn't give the contractor a key to the garage while they took a vacation.

we could have been hung if it were not for the fact that REASONABLE ACCESS was a part of the contract. i contacted the pool contractor when the gfci tripped and told him i was draggin up, be back when i could have power again.

i learned a lot from this situation;

if the owners would have left a spare set of keys with the contractor or
if the controller would have been hard wired to a sub panel or
if the exterior outlets would have been on a separate circuit or
if the controller would have been mounted outside or
if i had been born rich instead of good looking there would have been no interruption in work or service

BTW boots, at your age you don't want too many people near to you with access to plugs that can be easily pulled.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post

BTW boots, at your age you don't want too many people near to you with access to plugs that can be easily pulled.
best point for hard wired so far!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
many years ago i was plumbing a pool/spa for some folks that lived in a gated community/private golf course. their controller was on a gfci inside the garage.

my demmo hammer and hot box would trip the gfci and without access, the landscape suffered, near died because the panel was inside the garage and the owners didn't give the contractor a key to the garage while they took a vacation.

we could have been hung if it were not for the fact that REASONABLE ACCESS was a part of the contract. i contacted the pool contractor when the gfci tripped and told him i was draggin up, be back when i could have power again.
One of my accounts just had a similar thing happen. Contractor blew the breaker the controller was on (it was mounted outside) but he didn't know where the panel was (it was outside too), so he left the breaker tripped and I got the call the lawn was getting crispy.