Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you handle gravel roads?

Got this new customer coming up, has a gravel roads build along a ridge that goes around and up the hill to her house that overlooks that ridge. The gravel road has about 3 feet wide of lawn on one side and then drops off down to some farm land she also owns. The other side of the road is about 3-5 wide of lawn, the side against the ridge. (Think those trails going around a mountain on Deadliest Road/Ice Road Truckers lol). Except with a strip of lawn on either side.

I've been strategizing. This road which is on her property and part of what she wants mowed is about 100 yards long. My thought was to take my zero turn down on side and back up the other. But since one side would have partial gravel under the deck since its more narrow I'm second guessing it. I can always get some exercise and breakout a 21. I just wondered if some of you that have done this longer have ever gotten near gravel road in your zero turn and had any problems?

I don't want to shower cows with rocks if I can help it .
Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A bunch of our properties have gravelled driveways, it is pretty much the norm around here. As you would probably guess, the smaller the stones, the more you will pick up with the suction from your mower. If it is larger gravel, say the diameter of a nickel or larger, you will rarely pick one up, so just watch your cutting height and be careful turning so as not to cause your deck to pitch too much and get into the roadbed. If it is fine gravel, throttling down the engine will help avoid sucking it up as well.

As long as there is nothing more than cows to hit, it really isn't that big a deal even if you do run a few stones through the chute, other than the fact it plays heck with your blade. We mow some extremely rocky properties, and I try to schedule them at the end of the day, so I can change out the blades before mowing somewhere else the next day.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would just break out the 21. Its not that much to cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah the rocks on the road are mostly quarter size maybe pick and somewhat packed into the ground from constant traffic. But I'm not used to how much suction my lazer has on rocks since this is my first gravel road.

Both good suggestions, thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Every Ztr I see on someone else's trailer the ROPS are folded or not even present, this tells me that if you go wrong one time with it we will be reading about you in the obituaries... Then again maybe most operators have some secret death wish they wouldn't have a problem seeing fulfilled, kind of makes me feel sorry for whoever makes the eventual find.

Last edited by herler; 06-21-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh the ROPS usually goes up unless the property is flat. No problem there. More concern about not shooting a bull with gravel. No barb wire separates me from them by the way. It's gated when you first get on the property but after that's closed it's game on. But they seemed pretty docile when I went to quote.

Should be fun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Every Ztr I see on someone else's trailer the ROPS are folded or not even present, this tells me that if you go wrong one time with it we will be reading about you in the obituaries... Then again maybe most operators have some secret death wish they wouldn't have a problem seeing fulfilled, kind of makes me feel sorry for whoever makes the eventual find.
Can you please explain what this has to do with him shooting gravel out the deck? He never mentioned mowing a cliffs edge.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i mow along gravel driveways all the time and never have issues. i cut at 2" as well. heck i even mow over gravel that has grass growing through it sometimes.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are worried about shooting gravel raise your cutting height accordingly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2012, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn01 View Post
Got this new customer coming up, has a gravel roads build along a ridge that goes around and up the hill to her house that overlooks that ridge. The gravel road has about 3 feet wide of lawn on one side and then drops off down to some farm land she also owns. The other side of the road is about 3-5 wide of lawn, the side against the ridge. (Think those trails going around a mountain on Deadliest Road/Ice Road Truckers lol). Except with a strip of lawn on either side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Can you please explain what this has to do with him shooting gravel out the deck? He never mentioned mowing a cliffs edge.

you gotta love it.