Register free!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Subtraction water meter

Hey folks. Looking at having a subtract meter installed. An obvious downside will be a pressure loss from having the second meter, but I am I missing anything else? Any tips or experiences, good or bad would be appreciated. My setup would be identical to the drawing. Current setup has one 60', 1" sch40 mainline supplying domestic and irrigation needs.

*I am still evaluating dynamic pressures in my zones so I will have those numbers before I decide on anything. I do know that I have between 36-40 psi in my spray zones, but I don't have the right gauge to check my rotors.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wu can't they be in parallel instead of in series. Then you are only getting hit once.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Would have to pay for a new tap to the tune of $2K+. My water provider offers the subtract meter as a cheaper alternative. Just a small fee for the meter, no tap fee.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Out here, we call them "deduct meters" so as to avoid the sewer surcharge. It's a damn good idea, we've been pushing it for years, but most purveyors see it as an added time for them to get away from their donuts and read an extra meter. Did you have a backflow assembly originally? The new meter and associated fittings will lower your psi, but not that much. The backflow will lose you 7-10 pounds pressure, and with your stated psi, it could be tricky.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Out here, we call them "deduct meters" so as to avoid the sewer surcharge. It's a damn good idea, we've been pushing it for years, but most purveyors see it as an added time for them to get away from their donuts and read an extra meter. Did you have a backflow assembly originally? The new meter and associated fittings will lower your psi, but not that much. The backflow will lose you 7-10 pounds pressure, and with your stated psi, it could be tricky.
Same reason here, avoiding sewer charges. Wells are being punched all over the place and the provider fears losing revenue among other things. Currently have a 1" rpz so that pressure loss is already factored in.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here the dumbass water meters never deduct them correctly, but i guess its worth the cost even if they dont get it right everytime. Another 5/8 tap here is $600 for resi.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Alot of towns around here will avg. your winter months sewer charge and that is what you pay in the summer months. Others will have a separate meter that you don't pay for sewer, mostly older systems. Very few deduct meters.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
Alot of towns around here will avg. your winter months sewer charge and that is what you pay in the summer months. Others will have a separate meter that you don't pay for sewer, mostly older systems. Very few deduct meters.
Here they figure your sewer fee based on water usage during the winter, when our system are not in use.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You all are lucky. My local sewage authority ceased allowing deduct meters about 2008. When the economy tanked, they saw deduct meters as a lost source of revenue. Wells have become very popular since then for new installs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not an issue here there are no sewers.
Posted via Mobile Device