Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-21-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truck problem

Been having problems with my 02 f450 it currently in the shop now having the oil pan replaced again under warranty and the fly wheel replaced. To date i have dumped 15k in to this truck to keep it on the road. I been thinking of replacing the f450 dump with a srw f350 with a dump insert. Only thing that is holding me back is going from a full dump to just a dump insert is it going to hurt. The dump is 9 foot landscape. i have a 6ton dump trailer that i can use for heavy loads or bulk items. One thing that is in favor is the insurance reduction going from the dump to just a pick up. Sorry for rambling just don't want to make a decision that going to come back and get me latter
Old 06-22-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

That's a 10 year old truck it doesn't surprise me at all what the repairs have cost you. I have a 99 ram 3500 that has cost me 5-7 k in repairs ever single year I have owned it and I don't want to add all that up lets just say it blows your numbers away. It's the reason I now own a 2011 and a 2012 crew cab ram 4500 while the payments are rude 0 repair bills and no down time is sweet. But just because you want to switch to pick ups I wouldn't expect that repair numbers to drop that much if they are old as well. I have a 98 and got rid of a 99 ram 1500 and each of them has cost me 20k in repairs in the 10 years I have had them. As for insurance I have business insurance and I don't think they seem to care one way or the other I pay 800 and change per truck for 5 trucks. 500k full coverage per truck and the older ones have values I selected not them as its a pain to replace a dump truck and book value never seems to reflect reality there.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can you move the dump to another truck? If the hydraulics and such are good?

I have a feeling 5 to 6K is going to be a truck cost be it new or in repairs. Avoiding down time is key
Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The replacement truck would be a2012 i have a 2010 that i use in my grading business. My insurance is high because of ny age just about 21. The difference between the truck and dump is about 1500 a year more i pay for the dump.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
The replacement truck would be a2012 i have a 2010 that i use in my grading business. My insurance is high because of ny age just about 21. The difference between the truck and dump is about 1500 a year more i pay for the dump.
Posted via Mobile Device
There is not much you can do about the insurance and the premium based on age.

You might be surprised, some times insurance goes down with newer vehicles. Not likely with your age however.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The dump bed is original and starting to show its age. And i realize that the insurance is because of age. But each year i see a drop do to clean driving record and no accidents
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
The dump bed is original and starting to show its age. And i realize that the insurance is because of age. But each year i see a drop do to clean driving record and no accidents
Posted via Mobile Device
It is not the dump bed it is the vehicle under it.

You can weld the dump bed as long as the lift is in good shape. Move it to a chassis of your choice as long as it fits the dump.

If the dump dies, take it off the truck and buy a new one. You can buy a stripped new chassis for the dump. I mean you do not have to abandon both just because one is bad.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What have you spent 15K on with a 7.3? Those are far less expensive to keep on the road than the 6.0s.

Oil pans are a pain, but that's only every 4 or 5 years, ball joints should be replaced with other than OEM. I haven't done an injector yet on any of mine. Plenty of oil leaks from rusty parts, but nothing that would add up to $15K, even adding up all 4 of them.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Had injector sleve crack causing coolant to mix with diesel had top of motor removed new heads all new injector. Had to have rear end replaced due to gear breaking and running through the housing. Had oil pan done 4 months ago had cab off truck and motor removed. Just had to run all new brake lines due to rust just had to put new tires on it all the way around and replace brakes. Now were at a fly wheel and starter. And removing cab again to fix oil pan again. All in the last two years and i just added it all up and my 15 k was off im at 23k before this last repair.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you didn't ask, but the oil pan is not the issue. Oil pan, gasket, spacer, gasket, then the block. Too many possible area's to leak. And since the cab is coming off then it does have a 6.0l in it. (junk)
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.