Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki Mule 610 4x4 fuel in evap canister

Hey guys, we have a brand new 2012 mule 610 4x4 that we had a little trouble out of yesterday while out trail riding. We were riding in the mountains and were on some pretty steep trails and the mule started running rough and died on us. With a little trouble shooting I found that fuel had gotten into the charcoal canister in spite of a check valve in the vent line that was supposed to prevent it.

The fuel tank was full when we started out, but to my understanding the check valve in the fuel tank vent line that runs to the charcoal canister, should have prevented any fuel from entering the canister and therefore is probably defective. To get the mule to run, I had to drain the fuel from the canister, bypass and plug it, venting the tank to the atmosphere.

The mule ran great from that point on with the canister bypassed, but when we got home I rerouted everything back to factory specs and of course it ran great, on flat ground and the tank not being clear full anymore. This morning I called the dealership and they are ordering a new check valve under warranty. Anyone else had this problem and if so, did a new check valve fix it? If it does it again with the new check valve, I'm going to bypass the evap canister and vent the tank with a vented gas cap. Thanks in advance for any advice.
John