Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Difficulty getting annuals to grow

We plant thousands of annual flowers but I have one small site that the flowers are just not growing. They came from the same vendors as our other flowers. They have had good bedprep with all the amentities as the others. They are getting watered as much as our other sites. We have added extra slow release fertilizer with no luck. I was wondering if there is a quick release fertilizer that might help. My wife has had flower crews for 15 years but never ran into this problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am a little confused. You have planted thousands of flowers and this batch is from that same thousand? Of you have planted thousands over time and now have a single batch not growing?

Sometimes growers will use hormones on annuals to make them small and tight but they never release. Some times they are just diseased. I have gone to the the green house and seen culls they will not sell for some reason or another.

So if it is a small sample of a large batch then look at the soil. If the soil have performed in the past, if could be the flowers. You may also want to just rebuild the soil with some compost. Soil does get tired when rotating out annuals.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

We plant thousands each year. Not all of the flowers are the same but they come from the same vendor and this would be very small sample from a large batch. The bedprep and amenities were the same as the other sites. They look healthy they just haven't gotten bigger.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhittle View Post
We plant thousands each year. Not all of the flowers are the same but they come from the same vendor and this would be very small sample from a large batch. The bedprep and amenities were the same as the other sites. They look healthy they just haven't gotten bigger.

Likely an over dose of a PGR at the nursery. Had a problem like that one year with Begonias. They never did release.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

What does PGR stand for?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plant Growth Regulator, Growers will use it so they do not get excessive top growth but at the same time get a nice tight looking plant. If they over do it the plants stay small even after transplanting.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Is there a solution for this other than replanting new flowers?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have not researched one so I hazard to guess that Gibberellic acid or growth stimulator's would over come it.

Another reason growers add the PGR's to inhibit top growth is they have a nice tight plant that will fit in to the shipping / transport racks. Some times they just over do it.

The plants could release at any time but my Begonia never did, they seem to be sensitive because it was a pretty wide spread and common problem that year.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I have not researched one so I hazard to guess that Gibberellic acid or growth stimulator's would over come it.

Another reason growers add the PGR's to inhibit top growth is they have a nice tight plant that will fit in to the shipping / transport racks. Some times they just over do it.

The plants could release at any time but my Begonia never did, they seem to be sensitive because it was a pretty wide spread and common problem that year.
Thank you so much. This gives me some place to start and at least something to tell the customer.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhittle View Post
Thank you so much. This gives me some place to start and at least something to tell the customer.
What type of Annuals? Would they respond to dead heading?