Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If lawn only has weedsgrowing like buckhorn that cuts the best when its wet
Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Here in the north east we have 50 degree nights and 90 degree days which creates heavy dew every morning til 10 or so. Mowing wet grass is a fact of life. It also rained most of april and may...
Posted via Mobile Device
I think things might be different in the desert South.

Look at the Florida forum and the thread about all the rain they've been getting. There's no way they could stay in business without mowing in the rain.

Or the folks in the Northwest where it is perpetually raining.

Another problem is, when it rains frequently, never mowing will not allow the soil to dry out, either, further exacerbating the problem.

I guess the question is, what damage is done when mowing wet grass? Other than possible ruts in the soil, what is the problem?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Here in the north east we have 50 degree nights and 90 degree days which creates heavy dew every morning til 10 or so. Mowing wet grass is a fact of life. It also rained most of april and may...
Posted via Mobile Device

I hear you on that one! ALWAYS wet in the mornings unless there is a breeze at night. Wet doesn't stop us. Some of these guys must not have many lawns if they can always mow when it is dry.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Everyone on my Monday schedule was mowed on Monday.
Everyone on my Tuesday schedule was mowed on Tuesday.
Everyone on my Wednesday schedule was mowed on Wednesday.
Everyone on my Thursday schedule was mowed on Thursday.
Everyone on my Friday schedule had their lawns mowed today.

When it rains is mostly irrelevant to me unless it's raining while I'm trying to work.

I guess I can see what you are getting at with the original question, as a lot of our lawns are getting fairly "crispy" with the current stretch of "no rain", but really, unless it's seriously going to be detrimental to a lawn (and I have no real "high-end clients btw), if they are scheduled for Monday, they get cut on Monday - wet, or dry.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry guys, i should have been a little more clear. I am just a homeowner and trying to find the IDEAL time to mow!! My own personal feeling is that i like to mow just before it rains, not after cause i feel if i mow after, i will be cutting off the fresh green growth. If i mow before than it has time to grow the fresh green growth after the rain!! Am i looking to far into this???lol
Old 06-23-2012, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUPS View Post
Sorry guys, i should have been a little more clear. I am just a homeowner and trying to find the IDEAL time to mow!! My own personal feeling is that i like to mow just before it rains, not after cause i feel if i mow after, i will be cutting off the fresh green growth. If i mow before than it has time to grow the fresh green growth after the rain!! Am i looking to far into this???lol

They should have known you were a HO. Follow the basic rules.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Member

if itd not bogging keep mowig
Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The mowing a 3rd off is beyond unreasonable here. The basic times up here are 7 or 14 days between cuts. But we have plenty of 7 day cuts where the lawn grows 200-400% and some how I am suppose to just take of 33%. If I have a lawn that's cut at 3-4 inches and I come back 7 days later and its 9-12 inches and that's very common here in spring there's no way I can cut it at 6 or 8 inches and the clients will be cool with it.

Wet grass is trickier if its soaked and has water droplets on every blade forget about it. We would get one lawn done then the under deck of the mower would randomly start taking clump craps when it felt like it and man does that get old. Your on your final pass lawns presentable and then bla bla blab all over the pass and 2 to the side you turn to fix it and as you pass that area it does it again else where. Or you shut your blades off and half a barrel of crap falls off.

Short rain bouts is something different so say we get a pop up storm where you can see clear sky's on the side as your getting poured on. Then its likely worth it to keep at it or take lunch then hit the lawns again. The misting all day its the tough one to make the call on if I got 3 days of clear sky's after that day coming then np were not going out in it but say its mothers day or any of those other gay holidays that require me to finish the lawns despite the weather. Then we have little choice then to slug it out at half speed in less than perfect wet conditions knowing the next morning is going to be 2 hours of scraping decks before we can head out again.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUPS View Post
My reply still stands. If the turf is under stress from drought, wait to mow it. You will do far more harm mowing it if it is too dry than mowing it too wet. Or wet. Or damp.

If it is too dry, you will further dry the turf out, requiring even more water to allow the turf to recover.

And unless it's mowing for a couple days, you aren't really cutting the "new growth" off. Or it takes you a couple days to mow your lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
They should have known you were a HO. Follow the basic rules.
Sure, cuz we're in the homeowner forum?

So the question remains, what damage will mowing wet grass cause? It may not be preferred, but it doesn't cause damage.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post

Sure, cuz we're in the homeowner forum?

So the question remains, what damage will mowing wet grass cause? It may not be preferred, but it doesn't cause damage.
No just be cause if had that feel.

You can spread fungal diseases very effectively, the grass often clumps badly if not cleaned up ( almost impossible) those will smother the grass, if you have clay you will also increase compaction concerns.