Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
This particular one is probably several years old. I have not been tracking this kind of thing but now that we got five trailers a boat and a camper it is getting important. I gage voltage by the setting on the controller. Usually we can't go much over a 2.0 settign before you feel the trailer pulling back o the truck when you stop. On our new trailer we had them set at
2.5 and tires are bald after 3 months. Our loads are not great we haul a couple riding mowers and 21" and trimmers blowers etc.
What style controller are you using? I use a proportionate controler (prodigy p2). I set the max voltage at 4.2 and with normal driving don't really notice the trailer back there. It doesn't push or pull on the truck. If hauling mulch I may turn it up some to help with double the weight. If you are using a cheap on/off controller it would be best to get a better on and save some brake and tire wear.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I only use dexter brakes. Yes more money but I know what I'm getting, and that's what the parts store stocks. Remember you get what u pay for. I have used some made in China cheap brakes and they didn't last. If the trail is a duel axle,,,watch your turns,,,tight 90 degree turns will wear out tires fast
Posted via Mobile Device