Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-22-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Yet another string trimmer question

I've got a John Deere TS105 trimmer that I bought many, many years ago. It still runs just fine. I have a trimmer and edger attachment for it and have used it without issues. Honestly though, after all these years of switching out the heads, I'm pretty tired of it. Therefore, I've decided to dedicate the JD to full time edging and buy another string trimmer.

It is obvious that opinions on string trimmers are varied based on positive/negative experiences, etc. A couple of the larger brands have their fans and their detractors, as one would expect. In much of my "research", it appears there are very few detractors when it comes to the Husqvarna's. Some many not have experience with them, but it is my impression that most who've used them tend to view them favorably, even if it isn't always the tool of choice.

Given that general favorable rating, I've pretty much focused my purchase decision on which Husqvarna model would suite me, a typical homeowner, the best. All of their line is within my budget, so the field is open.

I must say the 223L and the 326LS are of interest. However, the 224L, with the Honda 4-stroke is in the lead right now.

So finally my question: With the Husqvarna's general favorable rating, and the established reliability of the Honda engine (my experience as well as others), why should I NOT buy the 224L and choose one of the 2-stroke models instead? The small increase in weight in not a factor since my total edging time is probably 15 minutes - not near enough time for that extra pound or two to have a noticeable effect.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had one Husqvarna 224L for over a year and just bought a second one last month so that another guy could be trimming at the same time as me. They are really great trimmers if you don't need one that's super light weight. I thought about getting a 223L as the second trimmer, but only because I don't burn through my 2-cycle gas fast enough using it just for the blowers and occasional chainsaw work.

One thing if you do buy a 224L, make sure you follow the break in process. If you try to rev those little honda engines when they are brand new they will act like they are starving for fuel. Run about half throttle for 30 minutes then you should be good to go.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know much about the models you are referring to, but the one big disadvantage of a four stroke could mean more weight. I would compare the weight to the models you are looking at.

Another good trimmer is the Echo SRM-225, you can get them at HD. Last time I looked they were $199, the 230 is $299. I have the SRM-210, I think it is about 5 years old and I have never had an issue.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own