Prostate Knotweed
Spurge
Carpet weed (i think)
and couple others.

The weeds that I am least concerned about in my lawn are:

Dollar Weed
Oxalis stricta

Current strategy:

Ortho weed b gone for southern lawns on early and less concerning weeds.

Roundup placed as precisely as possible on the "worst weeds" that are not killed by even a potent dose of the ortho weed b gone.

There are a few areas where I'm going to just clear the whole area as the weeds a predominate on those areas.

When I feel that I have given the St. Augustine a fighting chance, then I'll deploy the slow release nitrogen fertilizer.

My concern is that the weeds will also grow faster with the fertilizer.

This is why I am wondering if I should definitely over seed with bremuda or another type of grass... I don't care if the St. Augustine chokes out the bremuda, It's just all about weed control at the moment.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am a Bermuda guy...but don't overseed a SA lawn with Bermuda.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mike, like others have said you'll be in for a long road and your yard wont look good for awhile. and you might spend more in chemicals then you would if you just re-sodded. i would do what ric said and check with some local pro's to see what they say and i would use more then one...

i myself am looking at getting another place bc its bigger and closer to town and on 1.1 acres but the yard is trashed and thats what my plan would be spray the entire yard with roundup to do a total kill then lat new sod...
Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Greg, I hear what you're saying. I have 1/2 acre and re-soding my entire back yard is too expensive.

Chemicals are not that expensive, and are effective for their uses. I'm not expecting a great lawn over night ... I'm trying to give the grass a fighting change.

Bremuda seed is cheap, will outgrow most weed types, and SA might snub it out later. I'm ok with that.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm doubtful you will get bermuda to grow in an overseeded use. I am also doubtful you want mixed grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt there is enough SA in all the weeds to save. Coated Bermuda seed will grow on concrete. CPO's spend a lot of time trying to remove Bermuda from SA. Most yards have a little mix in them despite best efforts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Allot of the mowing companies are only licienced for weed control in the plant beds. If you can find a local company that has a Certified Pest Control Operator (PCO) in the category of Lawn and Ornamental Pest Control, that would be your best bet. They can take care of insect weed and disease problems in the turfgrass areas. Many of them will offer lawn care programs and the local florida knowledge will be indespensable.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if you want the SA in the long run DO NOT seed with bermuda. bermuda is one of the toughest weeds to get out of SA. ric is one of the few that i have seen be able to do it. i have seen it first hand bc it was done in my yard..

to try and save this yard you will have your work cut out for you. for one you dont have the equipment unless your willing to buy that you are wasting your time.if you do things half ass you will get half ass results. i myself am one of the few just home owners on here i am not a pro like most of them on here. i also own a z spray jr and that thing has made my life very easy it spreads and sprays..

there are some very knowledgeable guys on here that deal with southern turf. like RIC and GREENDOC and ROY. search the posts and you'll find vast amount of info on these forums from these guys along with others..

i will be more then happy to help with that i know but i am not a pro like these guys are. unless you are ready to spend the money on equipment then hire someone. bc how are you going to spread out fert? or how are you going to blanket spray your yard? ask the 3 that i just mentioned if they spot spray or blanket spray and i'll bet they will all tell you they blanket spray.. i tried to spot spray nutsedge and it didnt work so i started to blanket spray for that and it has worked great. there are more things to having a great turf then dumping some fert and some weed killer on your yard to make it look good..if you need anything just send me a pm...
Old 06-24-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMike View Post
Hi All,

We bought a house in south florida and the lawn is completely taken over by weeds. I've used a selective herbicide ortho weed b gone and it works on the less problematic weeds like dollar weeds. For the more problematic viney broadleaf weeds that form a dense carpet / mat close to the soil the grass doesn't even have a chance and I really hate those lite purple / pink flowers. Other weeds are like trees with long tap roots. So for those I am using Roundup since it only kills the plants it touches on the leaves and does not leave much residue in the soil.

The problem is that my entire back yard has a weed problem.

We have St. Augustine grass.

So I would like you opinion as I'm not sure if my approach is the best way.

My approach:

Systematically use weed killer on the weeds where I can find them, as often as I can. Then when most of the dense populations of weeds are killed (perhaps most of my lawn) then fertilize the grass every 6 weeks or so in attempts to get the grass to grow and crowd out other weeds.

If I was living back up north, I'd buy seed and over seed.

Which is why I have another question... since you can't get St. Augustine grass in seed, should I combine it with another grass type that I can get in seed? I was thinking Caterpillar grass which is similar to St. Augustine...

Re-sodding, plugs, etc.. is too expensive.

I'd love your help!
The first thing to do with a bad st augustine or any other lawn is check the irrigation. If it does not have one it needs it. If it does, the heads need to be set for uniformity of coverage and correct run time for the soil conditions. Next, you do fertilize, however not with Scotts or any of those miracles in the bag that are nothing more than slow release urea. Fertilization will not benefit the weeds more than the grass. If anything it will help the lawn tolerate herbicide treatment better and set the conditions for the grass to take over while the weeds are dying.

My experience with Weed-B-Gon for Southern Lawns is that it does nothing to the weeds that form mats and have deep taproots. At least not at the dosages safe on st augustine. I have seen homeowners who have a craniorectal inversion thinking that it does work on those weeds because the idea of hiring a CPO hurts their ego. It works when spot sprayed at a gross overdosage that kills the lawn or is applied contrary to the label.

I do know of selective herbicides for broadleaves in st augustine. However, I rather see them applied through calibrated sprayers capable of applying a set dosage to the entire area.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-24-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen many lawns looks beautiful with St.Augustine mixed with a little bit of bermuda. It gives it a nice tight carpet look. Someone once said to me that bermuda grass can get into your lawn from the birds. I don't know if this is true. But cut the grass 4inches or higher. Yes most northern pple think grass looks better the shorther it is.