Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-23-2012, 10:26 PM
DanaMac's Avatar
DanaMac DanaMac is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Somewhere in the state of CO
Posts: 12,926
According to Wunderground, we have had 2.59" of precip in 2012. Average to date is 7.08". This is worse than '02 when we had the huge Hayman fire. Average temp for today is 82, today it hit 100. I believe we have hit over 100 only a handful of times in recorded history.
http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html

And my customers are wondering WHY their grass is dry Oh, I can make it green. And their wallet will carry a lot less green.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-23-2012, 10:30 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
From my house, no. I am nestled in a little valley. But it can be seen as soon as I am out of the neighborhood. At least the smoke plume. Fire may come over the ridge tonight. Hopefully the winds die down. This photos was from 4:00 pm today when I went into town. Moving north, towards the Air Force Academy, and some residential areas.

I'm heading out at 2:00 AM to hike another 14er, Mt Quandary. A little hesitant to go right now.
have a good trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
If the fire blows up tonight, I may suspend work this week, and have me and my guys volunteer as need be. Helping the fire crews at the command center - water, food, massaging the womens But I know there will be a lot of people volunteering.
good for you
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-23-2012, 10:34 PM
FIMCO-MEISTER's Avatar
FIMCO-MEISTER FIMCO-MEISTER is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Red State America
Posts: 18,734
My sisters house that you might remember from my butchered manifold is in the middle of that high park fire. It will be another month before they are even allowed to see if it's still standing.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Outdoors_Unlimited's Avatar
Outdoors_Unlimited Outdoors_Unlimited is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, Michigan
Posts: 446
Seeing as this is posted by the sprinkler guys, what do you guys think about systems designed to protect buildings.

We just had a fire near our cabin in the UP of Michigan.

I have read before of companies that specialize in forest fire protection, and part of their packages was a sprinkler system of sorts, that wets the roof of the building, and a distance around the structure.

I am thinking of designing one for my cabin. I am thinking of finding a impact type sprinkler that is made of brass on all 4 corners of the cabin, with one in the center.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors_Unlimited View Post
Seeing as this is posted by the sprinkler guys, what do you guys think about systems designed to protect buildings.

We just had a fire near our cabin in the UP of Michigan.

I have read before of companies that specialize in forest fire protection, and part of their packages was a sprinkler system of sorts, that wets the roof of the building, and a distance around the structure.

I am thinking of designing one for my cabin. I am thinking of finding a impact type sprinkler that is made of brass on all 4 corners of the cabin, with one in the center.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://roofsaversprinklers.com/

http://www.onestopfire.com/
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,079
the nice folks at Rain Jet made a roof sprinkler - it looked like any other of the brass heads they made, but it delivered a full-circle pattern in a flat spray
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 AM
FIMCO-MEISTER's Avatar
FIMCO-MEISTER FIMCO-MEISTER is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Red State America
Posts: 18,734
My sister in Bozeman has fire protected her house. Remove all trees within 40 yards and establish an irrigated turf around it as well. No irrigation for the roof though. I doubt roof top irrigation would have done much good for my sister in the high park fire. Once power got cut off then nothing was going to run the pump. The trees came right up to her house and it was an intense fire as well. They used a metal roof and adobe exterior walls. It will be interesting to see what survived.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,079
I remember living in a California house that had wood roof shingles - great material choice
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-24-2012, 10:21 AM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I remember living in a California house that had wood roof shingles - great material choice
in the great state of jefferson or in that other part with all the people?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 AM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
My sister in Bozeman has fire protected her house. Remove all trees within 40 yards and establish an irrigated turf around it as well. No irrigation for the roof though. I doubt roof top irrigation would have done much good for my sister in the high park fire. Once power got cut off then nothing was going to run the pump. The trees came right up to her house and it was an intense fire as well. They used a metal roof and adobe exterior walls. It will be interesting to see what survived.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.onestopfire.com/

where these come in pete. either a cas powered pump or a generator to power the well for fire only. generators for fire are test started monthly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Page generated in 0.07116 seconds with 8 queries