Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

According to Wunderground, we have had 2.59" of precip in 2012. Average to date is 7.08". This is worse than '02 when we had the huge Hayman fire. Average temp for today is 82, today it hit 100. I believe we have hit over 100 only a handful of times in recorded history.
http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html

And my customers are wondering WHY their grass is dry Oh, I can make it green. And their wallet will carry a lot less green.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
From my house, no. I am nestled in a little valley. But it can be seen as soon as I am out of the neighborhood. At least the smoke plume. Fire may come over the ridge tonight. Hopefully the winds die down. This photos was from 4:00 pm today when I went into town. Moving north, towards the Air Force Academy, and some residential areas.

I'm heading out at 2:00 AM to hike another 14er, Mt Quandary. A little hesitant to go right now.
have a good trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
If the fire blows up tonight, I may suspend work this week, and have me and my guys volunteer as need be. Helping the fire crews at the command center - water, food, massaging the womens But I know there will be a lot of people volunteering.
good for you
Old 06-23-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My sisters house that you might remember from my butchered manifold is in the middle of that high park fire. It will be another month before they are even allowed to see if it's still standing.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seeing as this is posted by the sprinkler guys, what do you guys think about systems designed to protect buildings.

We just had a fire near our cabin in the UP of Michigan.

I have read before of companies that specialize in forest fire protection, and part of their packages was a sprinkler system of sorts, that wets the roof of the building, and a distance around the structure.

I am thinking of designing one for my cabin. I am thinking of finding a impact type sprinkler that is made of brass on all 4 corners of the cabin, with one in the center.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors_Unlimited View Post
Seeing as this is posted by the sprinkler guys, what do you guys think about systems designed to protect buildings.

We just had a fire near our cabin in the UP of Michigan.

I have read before of companies that specialize in forest fire protection, and part of their packages was a sprinkler system of sorts, that wets the roof of the building, and a distance around the structure.

I am thinking of designing one for my cabin. I am thinking of finding a impact type sprinkler that is made of brass on all 4 corners of the cabin, with one in the center.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://roofsaversprinklers.com/

http://www.onestopfire.com/
Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the nice folks at Rain Jet made a roof sprinkler - it looked like any other of the brass heads they made, but it delivered a full-circle pattern in a flat spray
Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My sister in Bozeman has fire protected her house. Remove all trees within 40 yards and establish an irrigated turf around it as well. No irrigation for the roof though. I doubt roof top irrigation would have done much good for my sister in the high park fire. Once power got cut off then nothing was going to run the pump. The trees came right up to her house and it was an intense fire as well. They used a metal roof and adobe exterior walls. It will be interesting to see what survived.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I remember living in a California house that had wood roof shingles - great material choice
Old 06-24-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I remember living in a California house that had wood roof shingles - great material choice
in the great state of jefferson or in that other part with all the people?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
My sister in Bozeman has fire protected her house. Remove all trees within 40 yards and establish an irrigated turf around it as well. No irrigation for the roof though. I doubt roof top irrigation would have done much good for my sister in the high park fire. Once power got cut off then nothing was going to run the pump. The trees came right up to her house and it was an intense fire as well. They used a metal roof and adobe exterior walls. It will be interesting to see what survived.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.onestopfire.com/

where these come in pete. either a cas powered pump or a generator to power the well for fire only. generators for fire are test started monthly.