Register free!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Interactive map of where the fire has burned. Look up to the north east a few miles and find Fox Run Regional Park. That is where I am. Safe from this fire, unless embers flare something up.
Interactive map

Aerial photos of the neighborhoods.
Photos
Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This pic really tells a story of the many homes lost. You can clearly see where the firefighters were able to make a stop.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2012, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Interactive map of where the fire has burned. Look up to the north east a few miles and find Fox Run Regional Park. That is where I am. Safe from this fire, unless embers flare something up.
Interactive map

Aerial photos of the neighborhoods.
Photos
Amazing pics!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just got the first call from a customer that has a house that is now gone. We had her on the schedule for Tuesday, the day the fire erupted, to swap out to MP rotators in the front yard. We had rescheduled due to the possibility of the fire moving down the hill. And sure enough, it did. She still owed us about $70 for work a couple weeks prior, and said she was sending out a check. Oh no you're not!!! She has other problems to worry about. Our whole community is going to take it on the chin, emotionally and financially. I'll probably lose 50-75 customers, and there are others up there that owe us money as well. All those invoices are going bye bye.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good for you, Dana, I'd do the same thing. I'd bet, as happens after natural disasters (Katrina comes to mind) there are thousands of out-of-work pikers and journeymen alike, that are packing up their tools and heading for "The Rock Of The Westies".
Old 06-28-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Mike, I know you and probably everybody here would do the same.

The thing that really chaps me, are the azzholes posing as volunteers for Care and Share or the United Way, going door to door asking for donations. Unbelievable what criminals will do.

We are working a little bit today and tomorrow, to gain some normalcy to our lives. All agencies are overwhelmed with volunteers, but I am scheduled for Friday night to help feed firefighters. Some local restaurants have partnered together to feed them.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When everything fired up in Texas last year it was hard to help. I called in to see if they needed water trucks to forward water and they said it would just get in the way.

Friend of mine owns a road building business and offered up machines and operators that would be working under his insurance (3 D8 Dozers/and maintainers) to create fire breaks (for free) and he got refused also.

Seems like they should have a list of volunteers with relevant machinery/ equipment/skills on a pre-screened list to help out.

There are some great fire fighters, but if you release a few contractors that do the same kind of work for a living and for profit you can get a lot of work done fast.

Chaps me to hear that they are not letting the Air Force planes up until the private contractors are there. Everyone else is volunteering, but they have to wait for the for-profits?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Just got the first call from a customer that has a house that is now gone. We had her on the schedule for Tuesday, the day the fire erupted, to swap out to MP rotators in the front yard. We had rescheduled due to the possibility of the fire moving down the hill. And sure enough, it did. She still owed us about $70 for work a couple weeks prior, and said she was sending out a check. Oh no you're not!!! She has other problems to worry about. Our whole community is going to take it on the chin, emotionally and financially. I'll probably lose 50-75 customers, and there are others up there that owe us money as well. All those invoices are going bye bye.
You're a great person Dana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
When everything fired up in Texas last year it was hard to help. I called in to see if they needed water trucks to forward water and they said it would just get in the way.

Friend of mine owns a road building business and offered up machines and operators that would be working under his insurance (3 D8 Dozers/and maintainers) to create fire breaks (for free) and he got refused also.

Seems like they should have a list of volunteers with relevant machinery/ equipment/skills on a pre-screened list to help out.

There are some great fire fighters, but if you release a few contractors that do the same kind of work for a living and for profit you can get a lot of work done fast.

Chaps me to hear that they are not letting the Air Force planes up until the private contractors are there. Everyone else is volunteering, but they have to wait for the for-profits?
This would be a result of either state or feds being involved, not the locals, at least it wouldn't happen by me. I'd probably be fired after the fire for insubordination, but it would be worth it. I'd tell anyone and everyone such as yourself and your friend to help in those types of situations. Details can be worked out later. RIGHT NOW is when they need help and equipment.

Regarding the AF tankers, I understand to a point. These guys spend hundreds if not millions for a relatively short season totally dependent on the weather. Obviously they have some great lobbyists.

But in this case (and I'm sure many more) there are tankers ready to go within spitting distance of the fire. They knew what would happen based on the High Park fire, did they really think they weren't going to need every single available tanker, firefighter, dozer, tender, etc, etc they could get? Did they think the fire was going to go out by itself?

Not to mention they could have been dropping slurry in the same or less time than it took for the private contractors to get there. All the while houses are burning or in danger of burning.

Stupid, incompetent bureaucrats that can't think past the end of their pencils.

I need a drink or BP pill now. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Got call #2 today. Not the easiest customer to work with, but still a good person. Been a customer since August of 2002. So sad to get these calls, and see the photos online. I know all the streets and all the areas they are showing that are gone now.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post

in order to set foot on a fire you have to have a red card / fire card. you have to attend 8 hrs of training and most importantly know how to use a fire shelter. all equipment must have been pre-screened and issued a number before call out. there is more but that's enough to get the jist