Register free!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Before and after aerial photos of different streets in the neighborhood.
http://www.denverpost.com/wildfires/ci_20962928

Trevor Lane - we have three homes on here that we took care of.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is still some grass to mow...

Insurance will rebuid it and you will get the landscape jobs.

I know it is still sad and scary.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Trevor Lane - we have three homes on here that we took care of.
As sad as it is, I'd be thinking about getting back to installs, Dana.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for posting those links Dana. I had not seen them.

Personally I have a couple friends I helped evacuate the area. Thankfully their homes are safe. One of them has a home within a quarter mile or so. Like Dana, I also have several customers in the affected area but, haven't heard of their situation.

No way to explain the scene as I have never been in that situation. Suffice it to say I hope it never happens again. Amazing the speed and destruction a fire can cause. It seemed like a scene out of the movie Dantes Peak. I remember as a kid seeing the
Mt Saint Helens footage which I realize was a bazillion times worse.

Amazingly that so far no deaths have been reported.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
in order to set foot on a fire you have to have a red card / fire card. you have to attend 8 hrs of training and most importantly know how to use a fire shelter. all equipment must have been pre-screened and issued a number before call out. there is more but that's enough to get the jist
Yes, but that is the problem. These fire breaks can be fail safes WAYY out ahead of the fires. In TX our problem is all the red tape around clearing land in "sensitive" areas, this created a lot of underbrush that fueled the fires. The state used to provide money to clear fence lines on private property to create fire breaks. 30mil. a day could have cleared a lot of fire breaks, and helped out local contractors.

Dana- Those pics are unreal, cant help but feel for those people. Insurance will re-build but you can't get everything back. I have a friend that works at Mccoys hardware near one of the fires and he said the scum suckers came out of the wood work before the smoke cleared looking for over priced work. This could be your chance to build a solid rep by not price gauging.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=txirrigation;4456496]Yes, but that is the problem. These fire breaks can be fail safes WAYY out ahead of the fires. In TX our problem is all the red tape around clearing land in "sensitive" areas, this created a lot of underbrush that fueled the fires. The state used to provide money to clear fence lines on private property to create fire breaks. 30mil. a day could have cleared a lot of fire breaks, and helped out local contractors.QUOTE]

this is not a regional issue, it is a national issue. why ARNG was prevented from first responder status is unimaginable. they were on top of the situation and if there were a conflict they could have rotated out as private contractors arrived on scene.

close to home BLM burned a small town down and started a major wild fire near us http://forestry.about.com/od/forestf...fires_na_5.htm

we are required to maintain defensible space near homes and along fences
http://www.fire.ca.gov/cdfbofdb/pdfs...nes2_23_06.pdf
Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

#1. Be safe...that's real scary.

#2. you make me an offer I can't refuse I'll do those installs for you...
Old 06-29-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dana,
Devastating to say the least, and I wish the best to all of you. Man, what disaster! Such a beautiful area too.
Explain to me, if and when you feel like it. But looking at the interactive map of before and after photo's; how does this happen? I mean I can see if one house starts burning, that it's likely to catch the next on fire, but in many of these photo's, it looks like there is not that much vegatation close to these areas, how does that happen to get to the homes? Even after the fire, it looks as though there are still some green trees around????
Little hard to understand, but then I've never been close to something like that, so forgive me.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dirt boy - 65 mile per hour winds will do that. These were primarily good, professional landscapes, with manicured lawns. But they are surrounded in the area by pinon pine, scrub oak, and native grass areas. Combined with no moisture (20% of average precip), all time record high temperature, it was a fire bomb waiting to happen. The wind changed in the blink of an eye, and everybody had to evacuate. People need to realize, we live in a high elevation desert. These things can happen, no matter how well we were prepared or how well we did fire mitigation to prevent it. Some locals are now pointing fingers, of course. Which is a shame.

346 homes lost. Now labeled as the worst fire in Colorado history. Not the largest, the worst. More homes, more money lost in homes. Very expensive to fight. 1000 brave firefighters here because of how close to the city this is. this was on the very northwest edge of town.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Worst fears happened. One person has died inside a home, and another for that home is also missing. Unfortunately there are a few others reported missing, but it's tough to account for 32,000 people.