Register free!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Just got the first call from a customer that has a house that is now gone. We had her on the schedule for Tuesday, the day the fire erupted, to swap out to MP rotators in the front yard. We had rescheduled due to the possibility of the fire moving down the hill. And sure enough, it did. She still owed us about $70 for work a couple weeks prior, and said she was sending out a check. Oh no you're not!!! She has other problems to worry about. Our whole community is going to take it on the chin, emotionally and financially. I'll probably lose 50-75 customers, and there are others up there that owe us money as well. All those invoices are going bye bye.
What a nightmare! Letting people slide on what they owe you is really a compassionate and great thing to do. But I hope you are taking care of yourself too. How will your business survive this disaster?
Thanks for the pics and the updates on the situation. I don't feel so bad about what is happening here. Things could be much worse
Old 06-29-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What a nightmare! Letting people slide on what they owe you is really a compassionate and great thing to do. But I hope you are taking care of yourself too. How will your business survive this disaster?
Thanks for the pics and the updates on the situation. I don't feel so bad about what is happening here. Things could be much worse
Thanks Charles.
My business will suffer, but it will survive. Every business here will take a hit. My business will take a minimal hit compared to others. I'm not worried about us. But thanks for the concerns, from all of you.

TomTom and I have kept in good contact keeping each other informed of what we hear is going on. One of my employees was working in the evac zone that day it erupted. He got out of there about 30 minutes before the mandatory evac notice, which was good considering the chaos of the mass flood of people leaving the area. I now have 6 known people/customers with no home to go back to.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

what's the status of the fire scene now dana?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hot
Not raging like it was, not centered near high density homes, hot spots all over due to embers. The concern now is in the opposite direction as it workable towards the town of woodland park. Weather and winds are cooperating.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2012, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And 15% contained so far.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is a shame. They likely through the could fight it way or were too old to escape.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Boy View Post
Dana,
Devastating to say the least, and I wish the best to all of you. Man, what disaster! Such a beautiful area too.
Explain to me, if and when you feel like it. But looking at the interactive map of before and after photo's; how does this happen? I mean I can see if one house starts burning, that it's likely to catch the next on fire, but in many of these photo's, it looks like there is not that much vegatation close to these areas, how does that happen to get to the homes? Even after the fire, it looks as though there are still some green trees around????
Little hard to understand, but then I've never been close to something like that, so forgive me.
Fires get so hot they can create their own wind. In W. Texas they have brush fires so intense that the fireball will jump the river. They had one about a decade ago that jumped about 150yrds over a lake. This was not embers caught in the wind, the main fire stretched across.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

From the current list of homes damaged, I have 19 homes we have worked on over the years that are completely gone. 9 of them are current customers, the other 10 inactives mean we haven't been there in 3+ years. One home has visible damage, and two are not on the city's list as of yet. But they are very close to others that are gone.

30% containment, and a large portion of evacuees are able to go back home.

here is the last photo I will post. This is of the mass evacuation. This one really hit me. Sorry, I don't have the source, it was one I found on Facebook.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2012, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That pic says it all, Dana: Hell on earth.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It might be a long summer