Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Landscaping around tree's

Kind of continued from here but topic was different and didn't want to hi-jack someone's thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=1#post4451896

Ok, that being said I first want to answer duekster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
There are concerns about putting a lot of material on tree roots. Some oaks are more sensitive than others. I am more concerned about the root flare and trunk of the tree being covered. Have 0" next to the truck and taper out up to 5" on newly planted trees. 0" at the to 3" around the tree is you must. I just keep the grass off my trunk and keep a bare ring 24" or less around the trunk of my trees.

I do not use pine bark mulch. IMHO, they do not have the break down well, ammend the soil. Native Hardwood mulch is best. Cedar is second best. I also like Bois D' Arc Mulch very much as it is the hardest native tree around here and considered a scrub tree.

I do not use a Pre-Em on Beds for the most part. If it is a new bed with large shrubs it can be helpful the first season or two.
First, what you mean by root flare?

I used the pine back on the opinion of some others that it would help make the soil acidic which was what I needed for the holy; it did the trick to soon as I put the landscaping in and got the soil acidic my 4 year old holy took off like a weed.

Here's some pics of the tree's I was refering to and the landscaping. Like I said I cut back most of the landscaping paper but IMHO more needs to be cut out and I can take some of the pine bark out and use elsewhere (This fall I will be expanding the landscaping in the back). So right now there is no paper up near the tree's is that good enough of should I even be thinking about pulling more out? Are the roots well enough out in the yard and deep enough they will get enough water?

Also, last picture its hard to see but the leaves are starting to curl and tree looks sick so I've been watering up around the roots, just letting the water hose run for hours and it started to look better.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-24-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

See the flare at the bottom of the tree?
The base of a tree should look kind of like your foot does at the end of your leg. You do not want to see a stick like a telephone pole coming out of the ground.

Your trees look very mature. It appears as if they were left after clearing the site for the home construction. How long ago was that?

I suspect the feeder roots are far enough out into the lawn area that the fabric is not causing a problem. Trees look very tall and narrow like they were in a more dense growth with other trees.

Still do not care for fabric as it block the slow the decay of the mulch into the soil. I have heard that pine nugets can be used to help locally adjust the pH of soil.

I am more of a fan of native hard woods for mulch. It is going to return the materials from the prior generation to the current generation of native plants.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

See the flare at the bottom of the tree?
The base of a tree should look kind of like your foot does at the end of your leg. You do not want to see a stick like a telephone pole coming out of the ground.

Your trees look very mature. It appears as if they were left after clearing the site for the home construction. How long ago was that?

I suspect the feeder roots are far enough out into the lawn area that the fabric is not causing a problem. Trees look very tall and narrow like they were in a more dense growth with other trees.

Still do not care for fabric as it block the slow the decay of the mulch into the soil. I have heard that pine nugets can be used to help locally adjust the pH of soil.

I am more of a fan of native hard woods for mulch. It is going to return the materials from the prior generation to the current generation of native plants.

Yea, the house has been here for 38 years and I don't think many tree's were cut down then and not much work was done in those 38 years to this place.

It's been a lot of work since we bought the place in 1999 (see attached) and we had our choice of tree's to select from to cut down/leave

Most of the good ones we left alone, all the water maples had to go. But as you can see from the photo the water maples did give that afternoon shade I'm now trying to get back with something across the front
Attached Images

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-24-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bark Tissue and root tissue are not the same. The bark will rot / decay if constantly moist then the Cambium layer will start to suffer then the tree dies. Most of the time this is a problem for trees planted too deep or dirt pushed up on it. Mulch can have the same effect.

Hence we like to see the root flare.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Bark Tissue and root tissue are not the same. The bark will rot / decay if constantly moist then the Cambium layer will start to suffer then the tree dies. Most of the time this is a problem for trees planted too deep or dirt pushed up on it. Mulch can have the same effect.

Hence we like to see the root flare.
I'll get that bark away from the bottom tonight, again thanks.

Then God created Women
Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a good PPT.

hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/powerpoints/rootsinplanting.ppt

This pretty much flys with all that I have learned over the years.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Here is a good PPT.

hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/powerpoints/rootsinplanting.ppt

This pretty much flys with all that I have learned over the years.
If only more landscapers would attend Ed Gilman's lectures and read his work....

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-24-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
If only more landscapers would attend Ed Gilman's lectures and read his work....
Why what does he say?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A lot of good science based info in plain language.
Start here.
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/people/gillman.shtml

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-24-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys, I'll get to the links later but while the sun was on the tree's you can get a better picture of what I'm talking about, its only the tree on the right so far and the leaves are "upsidedown"???? You can see the lighter shade of green between it and the rest.

I got the water hose on it for the last two hours, about 100 gallon of water soaking in and keep moving the hose.

Then God created Women