Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Kirk,

You should make use of this resource. There is a wealth of information here.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/agcollege/plan...n/pdd_lab.html

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-24-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Kirk,

You should make use of this resource. There is a wealth of information here.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/agcollege/plan...n/pdd_lab.html
phasthound I agree there is a wealth of information, on both your links. So much so I don't know what I'm looking for but thanks.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
phasthound I agree there is a wealth of information, on both your links. So much so I don't know what I'm looking for but thanks.
Instructions on submitting samples for diagnosis.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/agcollege/plan...tting-ppa9.pdf

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post

See the flare at the bottom of the tree?
The base of a tree should look kind of like your foot does at the end of your leg. You do not want to see a stick like a telephone pole coming out of the ground.

Your trees look very mature. It appears as if they were left after clearing the site for the home construction. How long ago was that?

I suspect the feeder roots are far enough out into the lawn area that the fabric is not causing a problem. Trees look very tall and narrow like they were in a more dense growth with other trees.

Still do not care for fabric as it block the slow the decay of the mulch into the soil. I have heard that pine nugets can be used to help locally adjust the pH of soil.

I am more of a fan of native hard woods for mulch. It is going to return the materials from the prior generation to the current generation of native plants.
Duekster is right on with his statements.

Kirk, I haven't read all your posts, but many that I have read makes it appear that you (IMHO) are overcaring for your landscape. I could be mistaken though. If the trees didn't have 6" of mulch\organic material around them when you moved in, then they shouldn't now. I don't think you will find a recommendation from any university or landscaper that says you should have 6" of mulch.

Landscape fabric or paper or whatever is one of the biggest scams to ever be foisted on this industry. Other than keeping stone out of the soil, it is a waste of time, money and energy.

Back to the "overcaring". God created these trees to live without your help, and they had been doing so for quite some time. Now you are trying to make it look better--good for you--but changing all kinds of conditions that these trees had been living in for 30 or 40 years.

You say you are watering the roots, where is the hose end? Are you really watering the roots? Do they need water? Have you checked the soil with a probe? Is there anything else going on? Has the root level been changed--other than the excessive mulch--in the past 10 years since you moved in? It takes approximately 5 years for a tree to go into decline following severe stress. Has it undergone a lot of stress in the past 5 years?

Not sure if you have Sudden Oak Death down there, but I would stay away from any kind of trimming or pruning of oaks during the growing season.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Instructions on submitting samples for diagnosis.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/agcollege/plan...tting-ppa9.pdf
I've done that for the dogwoods in the front yard, you may have seen that thread, not sure. But I just noticed the oaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Duekster is right on with his statements.

Kirk, I haven't read all your posts, but many that I have read makes it appear that you (IMHO) are overcaring for your landscape.

Thanks Mark and your probably right, I probably am over reacting due to a couple a things, first being the lack of rain we've had here and something that happened last fall which scared me so I'm attempting to make sure it don't repeat this year.

The Oaks started losing the leaves way to early, it was on the news about this and a local tree service was interviewed about it, forget what it was but a lot of Oaks were dying. I called the tree service, he came out and said yes, thats what it was and wanted to do "Tree injections"???? Wanted to charge $800 for the injections and said if it wasn't done they would be dead this spring

As you can see they came out beautiful but I'm also watching them for signs of what they did last year and YES treating them with kid cloves

I could be mistaken though. If the trees didn't have 6" of mulch\organic material around them when you moved in, then they shouldn't now. I don't think you will find a recommendation from any university or landscaper that says you should have 6" of mulch.

The mulch was just for the landscaping and to prevent having to weed eat around them, keep the trunk safe from getting hit, etc. I've heard of people killing tree's like this with round up so I chose not to even touch them with such. The mulch was freshened up for three years in a role now, thats how it got to be 6" thick as I didn't remove any.

Landscape fabric or paper or whatever is one of the biggest scams to ever be foisted on this industry. Other than keeping stone out of the soil, it is a waste of time, money and energy.

Back to the "overcaring". God created these trees to live without your help, and they had been doing so for quite some time. Now you are trying to make it look better--good for you--but changing all kinds of conditions that these trees had been living in for 30 or 40 years.

You say you are watering the roots, where is the hose end? Are you really watering the roots? Do they need water? Have you checked the soil with a probe? Is there anything else going on? Has the root level been changed--other than the excessive mulch--in the past 10 years since you moved in? It takes approximately 5 years for a tree to go into decline following severe stress. Has it undergone a lot of stress in the past 5 years?

No to all the above and as for the hose I watered all the way around inside the landscaping where the landscaping fabric used to be, outside the landscaping I was sure it got water because it could get though the grass to the roots all winter.

Not sure if you have Sudden Oak Death down there, but I would stay away from any kind of trimming or pruning of oaks during the growing season.
Pruned the suckers down low back in the spring, only other cutting would had been 3 years back and YES in the middle of the summer but not by us, neighbor felt it necessary to prune the branches up high back to the property line but don't think that hurt them.

Thanks again, you eased my mind so like Duekster said, get the mulch back away from the foot which I did last night and I might note, that wasn't much there maybe an inch.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would like a couple of shots of the tree of concern.

Give me a close up of the trunk.

Give me a shot under from about 10 feet out of the canopy to under the canopy to the trunk.

Give me a shot of the whole tree.

Was there a tree next to it that you removed? You mentioned removing some trees.

Has any thing happened along the edge of the canopy? Landscape, the use of heavy equipment, vehicular traffic?

What has changed if anything?

Oh and what Type of Oak?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What type of herbicides are you applying to the lawn? 2,4D?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard of people killing tree's like this with round up so I chose not to even touch them with such.

You've heard wrong. Most likely.

It's possible, but not likely.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
That's why forums are useful... specific questions with specific answers in a simple straightforward fashion... and many times there is more than one idea and more than one solution to any given bit of botany...
Old 06-25-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I would like a couple of shots of the tree of concern.

Give me a close up of the trunk.

Give me a shot under from about 10 feet out of the canopy to under the canopy to the trunk.

Give me a shot of the whole tree.

Was there a tree next to it that you removed? You mentioned removing some trees.

Has any thing happened along the edge of the canopy? Landscape, the use of heavy equipment, vehicular traffic?

What has changed if anything?

Oh and what Type of Oak?
Sorry it took all day to repost, busy day.
No herbs since March or April, I use very little and spot spray when needed. Soon as the grape vines start to bud the herbs go in the cabinet.

I didn't get the bark back last night before it got dark, spent the majority of my time watering and with this heat its a full time job. So, as you can see there wasn't much bark around it to begin with I pulled it back with my hand for the pictures.

Hope these are what your asking for, wasn't sure what you meant by canopy?

Yes, there was a tree next to it actually it was growing together and so close to the road the state wanted to get it away from the lines so we let them take the whole tree as it would been one sided. That was 5 years ago.

Landscape, no heavy equipment, traffic and nothing changed.

Then God created Women